Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need some XML advice please

Hello everyone,

First-time poster (rookie) in need of some advice, please.

I'm an in-house designer, I know enough html to get a site online, but I'm no web designer by any stretch of the imagination and have limited capabilities.

The company I work for uses a recruitment software to post new vacancies and wants to put a feed on the site. The software offers an XML option to facilitate this. XML is way out of my comfort zone so I'm sure we'll have to outsource, but I thought it worth having a try (if doable).

Appologies in advance for my naievity here. I know I've to set up an FTP account and provide the credentials to software company to feed the ads, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Can anyone offer some advice? I know that I have to do some styling at my end, but how do I get the feed onto the site? I've searched for tutorials but not had any luck.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    It would be best for both you and your company to outsource this project. A beginner isn't going to be able to do this in a reasonable amount of time and get it right.

Member #
    Appreciate the honesty, probably saved me a fair bit of time.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You could theoretically do it using JavaScript or jQuery if the software doesn't require any credentials (a login and a password). You'd retrieve and parse the feed from the XML site, and then put the results on your site and style them from there.

If it's something more complex, then Stu is right.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm sort of confused ...

Are you trying to create XML files, or read them from other websites?

Are you "reading" or "feeding"?

Remove Ads