Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need Help With Understanding and Installing Word Press

I am new to all of this, so I have some general questions that I don't understand, even though I have searched and read as much as possible.

Here is a little background information on the issue: I am trying to set up two websites using WordPress, one for myself and one for my son. In the process of setting up my website, I had help from someone, installing WordPress.org onto my laptop and hosting it with APlus. It installed well and I am now able to go to Google and find it on the internet, no problem.

A couple of weeks later, I decided to try to set up my son's website on my own, so I then attempted it, following a very good, step-by-step, YouTube tutorial. Everything was going well; however, when I made the final 'click,' to actually install it, I was informed that I already had WordPress installed on my computer. This surprised me, as it now seemed that I only need to install WordPress onto my laptop only once, regardless of how many websites I want to make; thus, my first question: <strong>Is this true? Do I need to install WordPress only once, even though I am setting up two websites?</strong>

Assuming that is true, I then tried to find WordPress on my laptop, but couldn't do so. I am using an HP laptop running Windows 10.

I typed both "WordPress," as well as "Word Press" into the search box, but there were no results. I also went to "Settings," then to the "Applications" section and looked in the list of programs on my computer, but Word Press is nowhere to be seen. So I am totally confused. I was told that WordPress is already installed onto my laptop, yet it is nowhere to be found.

Thus, my second question: <strong>Given the fact that I installed WordPress.org onto my computer while setting up my own website and hosting it on APlus, does that mean WordPress is now truly on my computer, as I was told, or is it somewhere else, such as at the host company's server? </strong> (Once again, keep in mind that I am a newbie and barely know what 'hosting' is)

I know that WordPress.com and WordPress.org are different, in that, among other things, the '.org' version is for those who want to have their website hosted by someone else, rather than having WordPress host it, which is what I wanted, so I hopefully installed the '.org' version. I'm now not sure which version of WordPress actually got installed on my laptop a couple of weeks ago, and, as stated, try as I may, I cannot find it, so, of course, I cannot tell for sure which version got installed.

Thus, the third question: <strong>If, and when, I finally locate WordPress that I installed, where do I look, to see which version (the '.org' or the '.com' version) got installed? </strong>

Now for the fourth question: <strong>Assuming that I can actually find WordPress, can it be used to set up my son's website, even though I have already used it to set up my own website?</strong>

And the final question: <strong>If I eventually get both websites up and running, am I correct in assuming that I can then add/delete/change things on either website, no matter where I am or what computer I am using, just so long as I can log in to each site, using the administrator's user name and password?</strong>

For those who might have been so patient as to read this far, I would like to thank you, as I know that my questions must seem ridiculous, but this is a whole new domain for me and I am in the 'baby-steps' stage of it all. I just got an 840-page book on WordPress, today, and will begin studying it; however, in the meantime, it would be nice to actually begin the projects before me.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Which aplus hosting company are you using? There seem to be several possibilities. If you are using Aplus.net, demand a refund now. Their homepage is very slow loading so what can you expect for your own site? I waited over 60 seconds for their web design tools page to load with no luck - just that little spinning box in the middle of the screen.

Siteground is Wordpress friendly and has one-click install so it is very easy to load without having to load Wordpress manually. Any decent Wordpress hosting company will have one-click install. No need to download from Wordpress.org.
    Last edited by delstu; Jun 20th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The hosting wordpress.com is For those who want to create a website quickly, there is no need to install, host and use the domain name (pay if you want) and not as easy to customize as wordpress.org if used long time.
    When you install wordpress with a website, it is not located on your computer, you should connect your site with hosting and create a new ftp account. (If this host also uses cpanel)
    Then visit and reinstall wordpress

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There is many tutorial about how to connect domain with hosting on internet, choose one site and follow the steps

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You keep saying "your computer". WordPress is installed on your website (shared webhost server), not on your computer.

Perhaps you downloaded the wordpress zipped file onto your computer, but that is just the files. You upload them to your website.

I recommend you create 2 separate websites with 2 separate domain names (my opinion). One for you and one for your son. I realize you are paying $6/month for it and that is a limited offer.

Most webhosts have a method in the control panel where they install wordpress for you automatically. You only need to upload and set-up the theme that you want, other than the default theme. I've used cleverdot.com in the past. They are $40 to $60 per year and that includes domain name.

Again ... I don't know what you mean by installing on "your computer".

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    just go thorough the wpbeginner , a guide to understand and get started with wordpress. this will be the best guide you can check out.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I am not as expert as some of the others but I find it a little difficult to know what is happening based on your question.

1. Installing WordPress on your computer involves more than just installing WordPress from WordPress.org. Basically you usually use WAMP or XAMPP which also installs MySql and PHP. Assuming the guy did that for you then it may be on your computer.

2. If it is installed on your computer you don't need a hosting account until you are ready to upload it to the hosting account. Doing what I talked about in step one only allows you to build the site offline.

3. You mention something about wanting WordPress.org. I don't think you can download WordPress from Wordpress.com I think you have to build the site there.

4. I am suspecting they installed WordPress in your hosting account. Try typing the URL (address) for your website and follow that by /wp-admin something like (www.yoursite.com/wp-admin) If it is installed in your hosting account then that should let you log into your web site.

5. You can run two web sites on your laptop but it takes some doing. You do need to install a second version of WordPress. There is information online about how to do it. Here is a link to a tutorial. Setting Up Multiple Virtual Hosts in WAMP | Dennis Plucinik's Web Design Blog

6. As far as finding your site I am only guessing but try searching for wamp/www

Remove Ads