Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Form Development: Creating Grocery List Form

Hi

I currently manage a cookbook website which runs its domain through Squarespace. I have no background in web design.
    I am looking to create a form, where my customers will be able to select a few types of proteins, carbs, and vegetables (as separate categories). The viewer will submit the form, thus generating a grocery list of these items, and will include a separate page detailing how to cook these items for which they may have the option to print or email to themselves.

Is something like this possible on Squarespace? Are there existing widgets I may use to do this, or will I need to hire a developer to write up this form on a private domain site (not hosted by Squarespace).

Thank you for the help!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Squarespace allows javascript via what they call "code injection", That would be the only way. You don't have access to a backend to process data or pull from a database, so all of the data would have to be stored in an object and pulled up that way. With no dev experience, you'll have to hire this out, and expanding it in the future will be a huge pain.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It would have to be done on a separate website (webhost account). Within your Squarespace web pages, you could probably have <iframe> inline frame to display the page from the other site within your page on Squarespace. It might be a little bit clunky though.

But here's the hard part ... because the form, searches and displays are all happening on another website, you would have to have a database there too. That would be a lot of work to support two databases, one for Squarespace and one for the grocery list.

Looks like you would transfer everything from Squarespace to a new website and hire someone. Expensive? Probably.

Remove Ads