Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Unhappy Why do my images get cut off on the actual website?

Why do my images get cut off on the actual website but not when I am managing the page?
    I am very new and using Wix Editor. I am trying to upload images to the gallery in Wix.
    Please see 2 images below, before and after.
    Hope someone can help!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You'll have to give us the actual website address so we can see it for real.

Many times what you see in an editor is not what you see on a page. If you think about it, the web page can be viewed by any device. That means the device could be a huge desktop monitor, a tablet, an iPad Mini, or any size and type of Smartphone. The editor is merely a way to get your images and text onto the webhost server. The "style", layouts, responsive design part moves things around and position the content.

Give us a link to your site.

EDIT: Also know with Wix, Weebly, Square, and other web services, they don't allow server-side scripting such as PHP. They might have some ecommerce built-in, but if you plan on doing anything with forms, database, custom scripting, you won't be able to do that unless you have a real shared webhost account (example, GoDaddy).
    Last edited by mlseim; Jun 26th, 2017 at 05:21 AM.

Member #
    Thank you so much.
    https://www.ohsofancy.com.au/

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It looks like when you upload images, wix wants them to be square. wix wants them all to be the same size so they fit their template.

If you look at the actual image in the image directory, it's the square version:
    https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1...6e32db~mv2.jpg

That is the image saved. No matter what you uploaded, it modifies it to be square so it fits their template.

Here's another messed up part ... but this one is your fault.

If you view this page:
    https://www.ohsofancy.com.au/product...-girls-costume

And zoom the image, the image is all pixely and crappy looking. That's because the original image you uploaded was not a hi-definition photo. Your resolution is too low and it looks bad when it is enlarged. Again, you would have to start with a hi-res image and upload it within the proportions and cropped dimensions that they want. Or, they will cut it off for you.

We can't see your wix settings, or the admin part of your website template. They might have something that defines what the height or width can be.

And wix contact page just opens the user's email client? With wix or weebly, there are no server-side scripts that allow custom forms.

So to recap:

1) You need to work on your photos. Take hi-resolution photos. The filesize on your camera SD card might be 2MB - 4MB per photo. That's OK.

2) Upload them as-is and wix will crop them as it does now.

3) Try to do your own resizing and cropping if you wish. See how wix handles that.

4) wix sucks, and so does weebly. You may want to subscribe to a real webhost and hire a site developer / programmer.

5) If you have a real business and you plan on actually making money, having inventory, doing online sales, shipping, credit card handling, product returns and customer problems ... it would be worth having a real website.

6) You probably notice that your website and pages take a long time to load and appear. That's because you're using wix. The "back-end" programming and intensive garbage it adds to each page makes it bog down. Nothing you can do about that.

Oh ... and one other thing ... The little spinning thing that appears when a page is loading spins in the opposite direction than it should. Your toilet water does too. That's because you are in Australia (down under). I live in Minnesota, so for me, it spins counter-clockwise.

... just kidding.

I have a good friend that lives in Hamilton, Victoria. I know he is 15 hours ahead of me, so there's always a time issue with posts. When I Skype him, I have to turn my monitor upside down.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jun 26th, 2017 at 03:40 PM.

Member #
    Thank you for your expert advice, I'll take it all in and apply it. I have just started and learning slowly.
    We, Down Under, do things upside down and rather different,so we take longer
    No doubt I have a steep learning curve in front of me, and look forward to the challenge.
    Btw Wix said I can remove their Ads, is that you meant by back end programming?
    Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The back-end programming is all of the server stuff it takes for them to render your website pages using your content, within their template system. They add a ton of javascripting too, They must have a lot of processing that goes into adding the content and images on the fly. The page loading seems slow to me.

The wix system is probably easy for a newbie to create a website, but the price you pay is a lot of overhead (programming junk), and limited capabilities in regard to not having the ability to do custom scripting. But it is what it is. You either hire someone and pay that cost, or struggle through it and deal with the steep learning curve.

Remove Ads