Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Seeking for Opportunities

Member #

Seeking for Opportunities

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and I will be attending an online class at BYU-Idaho and majoring in Web Design and Development. I will be obtaining my Bachelors in Science. Anyways, since I am starting to enjoy more and more, the design aspect. I thought about my future and what I can do once I receive my experience. Seeking for a job/career in the field is mostly found in my opinion in Digital Marketing firms.

I am trying to create a group on Facebook where it focuses on sharing skills but mostly help those to find a job/career nationwide and have input of openings. Because honestly I feel a bit nervous about applying what I learn and messing up. I will post the link below for anyone that wants to join the group, thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3326...homepage_panel

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Instead of spending so much time on Facebook and seeking, why not subscribe to a webhost account and domain name, and then create a website for yourself? Make a main web page that is about you and a portfolio. Also on your website, create a complete fake company called "Widgets R Us" and populate it with inventory, shopping cart, payment gateway, database, user registration and login, etc.

You can't mess up a fake company and your own website. You'll see how hard and/or easy it is to create a complete working website that represents a real online company.

If you don't succeed at that, then you'll have your answer as to whether or not you wish to apply yourself to this career.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    And don't tell me you can't afford it.

You can get a webhost account AND domain name for $39.95 for the 1st year on cleverdot.com

That's $40 for the whole year. Not even a tank of gas.

With that webhost account, you should be able to create a complete online working website with a real payment gateway (to paypal, stripe, authorize.net). You can have family and friends shop and purchase your "widgets".

You won't get a job until you can demonstrate and show people what you have created.

And it has to be YOUR creation, not just a WordPress site with a few plugins.

Good luck.

I predict you won't take my advice and you won't create a working website. You'll say it's too much work and takes too much time. You'll say that the $40 for web hosting is too expensive. Millennials expect to get white collar jobs without doing any work. Millennials sit back and wait for the Baby Boomers to hire them just because they have a degree.

That's a personal opinion from a 56 year old ... and I am going to stick with that opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Max gave you the beginning of some very good advice. A few things to add to that:

1. Your philosophy is wrong, but it's not your fault. It's the way we're trained...all of us. This is intergenerational, and based on an archaic model. Go to school (or online school in your case). Study something. Learn it enough to get a piece of paper that will tell others that you're apparently qualified to do the thing that the piece of paper indicates. Find a company that wants a skill matching the one on your piece of paper. Stay there for 40 years, and then spend your retirement years in an RV cruising small towns and deserts looking at plants and talking to other old people in RVs cruising small towns and deserts looking at plants. That's the archaic model, and we're probably never going back to it again.

Since you're on Facebook, have a look at this video.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLibertar...5371349609424/

Understanding it will allow you to understand how to change your thinking.

2. The design aspect...almost everyone enjoys that. It's easy to understand why...you can be creative and artistic and make things that are unique and get your right brain freak on. The problem is...almost everyone enjoys that. There are tons upon tons upon tons of designers out there...and the vast, vast majority are in the "starving artist" category. Web design is a high-supply, low-demand field. Development...as in legitimate development, not "front end development" which is basically just a euphemism for web design...is in demand. Problem solving is in demand. Applied knowledge is in demand. Drawing things and "creating" isn't. It's harsh, but it's true.

The good news is that you haven't gone too far with what you're doing as of yet, so you haven't pot-committed to your idea. You can still adjust your plan.
    busso likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    not "front end development" which is basically just a euphemism for web design...
    You had to know I was going to call you out on this one.

Front end development is a euphemism for interaction development. Visual design is just a component, and sometimes it's a separate entity altogether. It's also concerned with how data is processed client side, and how it reaches the back end for posting and retrieval.

Back end is becoming an API end point. The front end, where you can access free processing power, is now often where the application lives. Increasingly, the only processing done on the server is security critical functionality and data access. It takes someone who understands how the DOM works and can be manipulated in real time by javascript to make that stuff happen. Some of us, like you and I, can do both, but that takes a lot of experience to be able to do. So, the industry as a whole sectioned off that part of it to be handled by a separate person.

Of course, then, as the web industry is wont to do, they completely forgot what the term meant and threw it at every swinging d*** who didn't work back end.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jun 29th, 2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Really thought the forum software was going to censor that word automatically. :P
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    And swinging v*****. Let's not leave the ladies out of this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads