Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help a noob get a job

So I went to trade school for web development, and now I am stuck on what to do next with a portfolio site.
    How do I make a site with no job experience.

Regards
    love the site

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    What Trade School did you attend? Was it online or did they have a physical location? What courses did you take? Did you complete any projects? Are you located in a metropolitan area or a rural area?

I ask these questions to help determine where you are now in your learning. Once we know more we may be able to give some useful advice.

Member #
    I went to a tech school in Ft. lauderdale near Miami, Sherridan Tech. The classes were both online and physical. Most of the projects were from the text books. We did a final project to build a website from scratch.
    I am in process of redoing the site, but what is the point of I dont have any content to put on it(prior jobs).

Regards

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    The purpose of a portfolio is to demonstrate your skills. You do not have to have prior experience to do so. Start by building a couple of simple sites, preferably about a topic you know something about and that interest you so that you can write a few pages of content. Just remember that the purpose of design is to present your content to its best advantage and at the same time making the site look good.

I suggest beginning with a single column site with a header at the top, then navigation, then your content area, followed by a footer. It doesn't sound like your school did a very good job of preparing you so you need to build on your experience on your own. After you build a couple of simple sites you should progress toward sites which require more skills, eventually an e-commerce site.

You could also take some online classes (or look on Youtube) taught by people that actually work in web development, not university professors that have never done any real work in the field. Most of these include an actual project that you can use as part of your portfolio. Edx has several free ones and freecodecamp is another good one.
    Last edited by delstu; Aug 14th, 2017 at 03:45 PM.

Member #
    I think the school did a good job, but most of the work was based off text book examples.
    Where do I go to submit my portfolio site?
    Sites like freelancer and upwork are just filled with talent from abroad.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsn8638 View Post
    I think the school did a good job, but most of the work was based off text book examples.
    Where do I go to submit my portfolio site?
    Sites like freelancer and upwork are just filled with talent from abroad.
    You upload your portfolio site to a webhost. It only cost a few dollars per month; many allow you to publish more than one site within one account. That is why I suggest building a site in a niche that you are interested in and can write content for. You can even earn an income from this type of site once you learn how to write great content. The process of creating a few sites will improve your coding skills and most people can write good content if they are not too lazy to learn.

Your school may have done a good job but they should have advised you to save your work so that you could publish to your portfolio site. In fact, I believe schools should include an exercise in building a portfolio site that you could upload to a webhost.

Member #
    do you mean earning money through ads?
    I have a site, but its just uploads of school work.
    My idea id to get 4 domains and create three web sites based on random topics

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    I have a site, but its just uploads of school work.
    Turn your school work into the beginnings of a portfolio.
    My idea id to get 4 domains and create three web sites based on random topics.
    Do you mean earning money through ads?
    I would suggest selecting topics you are interested in. It is a lot easier to write the content. You can begin earning through A&A (Adsense and Affiliates). Once you learn enough about your topic (perhaps by reading a few books) you can write your own book and offer it for sale.

If you read one book you will know more about your topic than 90% of your audience. Read four or five books and you will know enough to write your own book. Selling your own product is more profitable than A&A.

Remove Ads