Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

My future of web design

So I'm learning the basics of HTML and CSS right now on Codecademy and I think I'm picking it up pretty well. Short of getting a degree, at what point in my learning should I attempt to actually begin working in web design? I'm looking for a good milestone to set my sights on before I begin feeling out the job market in this field.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    There's really no easy answer. For me, I looked at sites like those I wanted to build at the time, and when I thought, "yeah, I could do that", That's when I began working in it.

But then, what do you mean "working in web design"? Do you mean an internship at a design/development company? Because, if you finish the tutorials and get a few small projects under your belt, some places might be willing to hire you. Do you mean coming on board as a junior developer? If so, you're going to need to keep going well beyond the tutorials. You'll need some real, practical experience. You'll need to understand some of the core concepts of computer science, and know HTML, CSS and JavaScript to at least the intermediate level. I knew I was at that level when I started making things and then started looking at how I could make them better, faster and/or more reusable. If you mean as a freelancer, you need to be able to do whatever kind of work well enough that you can compete with people who have been doing it for a long time, or at least well enough to find and carve out a niche.

You don't need a degree. I'm working on mine, still a full year out from it, but I've been working professionally as a developer for about 8 years. I will tell anyone this about the journey in programming/development/etc., - you don't have to have a degree. However, if you aren't careful to make sure you understand core computer science concepts, you're going to be missing something that is incredibly valuable. Not vital, mind you. Some of the best web developers I know barely know what binary search tree is, let alone how to implement one.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads