Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need some help with custom search form/directory and best website builder for this?

I am planning to build a website and I am stuck on which website builder to use with what I am trying to do (I hope using a website builder is an option).

I have used Wix a bunch of times but I am not sure if it will work for this. I am also looking into Wordpress and I am open to better options. I have some coding experience but very limited although I have built some things before learning on my own.

There will a directory that will allow reviews which will have to be confirmed before they are posted by users.
    I will also need to implement a search box which will allow users to put in some search criteria which could have a drop down box and also include nearest geographical location. Examples would be like finding a specific contractor, finding a doctor, finding a business, etc.

I would like to know what the best/simplest website builder to accomplish this would be- with minimal coding required and also what would be the best way to creating a search box like I explained above and implementing this?

I've looked all over and can't seem to find any clear answer,

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You cannot use Wix or Weebly because you'll need to use PHP with a database. They don't allow that.

So you're down to WordPress with an "Angie's List" plugin, or doing the site yourself. I have looked for other pre-made PHP scripts that are like an Angie's List clone. Most of them are old and use MySQL, which is obsolete. The "old and commonly used" PHP MySQL command set/functions should not be used. You need to use PHP / PDO with your webhost's exiting MySQL database. Wordpress is too clunky for what you are doing.

Any pre-made script you find needs to be current (like 2016-2017), or at least updated and modified for PDO.

Code Canyon has scripts that are similar, but not exactly what you might want. Or perhaps the script below is exactly what you need? They are all updated, PDO and are not too expensive:
    https://codecanyon.net/item/viavi-di...cript/16217669

You could have someone customize a script like that. I've had good luck with Evanto (Code Canyon), and the script authors are usually good at answering questions and offering customization (for a fee of course). I've got some great scripts for under $50. Everyone has their own experiences, but mine were good.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jul 24th, 2017 at 04:28 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You cannot use Wix or Weebly because you'll need to use PHP with a database. They don't allow that.

So you're down to WordPress with an "Angie's List" plugin, or doing the site yourself. I have looked for other pre-made PHP scripts that are like an Angie's List clone. Most of them are old and use MySQL, which is obsolete. The "old and commonly used" PHP MySQL command set/functions should not be used. You need to use PHP / PDO with your webhost's exiting MySQL database. Wordpress is too clunky for what you are doing.

Any pre-made script you find needs to be current (like 2016-2017), or at least updated and modified for PDO.

Code Canyon has scripts that are similar, but not exactly what you might want. Or perhaps the script below is exactly what you need? They are all updated, PDO and are not too expensive:
    https://codecanyon.net/item/viavi-di...cript/16217669

You could have someone customize a script like that. I've had good luck with Evanto (Code Canyon), and the script authors are usually good at answering questions and offering customization (for a fee of course). I've got some great scripts for under $50. Everyone has their own experiences, but mine were good.

Thanks a lot, that helps a bunch. As far as the database, I will be creating it myself and the search script to search this database. Do you think WordPress would be feasible and then I can add the custom PHP / PDO search script onto the site using WordPress? When you said WordPress is too clunky I'm assuming you mean to do everything so I can still just add the custom search script onto it? Sorry I am new to this, just want to do everything right the first time.
    Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    In your application, I don't think Wordpress is a good choice. You have all of the user registration along with admin stuff on top of all the other database stuff. It will be too difficult to meld your scripting into Wordpress. In my opinion, it would be better to buy a pre-made script and customize it. Like the one I previously mentioned. But get opinions and ideas from others too. I'm just describing the way I would approach it ... Not using Wordpress. Everyone has their own level of expertise.

Remove Ads