Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need Advice on Building Layouts In Linux

I currently work as a frontend and backend web developer at a local startup. I have no experience with designing though. At work I'm used to being handed down sketch files (through zeplin) or just plain old PDFs, which is great and allows me to take a design to a polished, production ready web app in a matter of days. With personal projects, however, I usually just wing the layout as I add new features. This leads to incomplete layouts for features and an overall just plain looking website. Also, without a design, it takes me wayyy longer to come up with good solutions, since I don't have a clear goal in mind, I just tweak as I go.

I'd really like to start adding a design phase to my personal work but I don't want (and don't have the time) to spend months learning how to use a complicated application, as I have very limited time to work on personal projects. Also, my only machine runs on Debian, so I don't have access to most of the tools for designers as they only run on Windows and Mac. I don't need to build polished designs, I just would like a way to get my ideas laid out quickly.

My question is, what tools are accessible on Linux to start designing websites? Or would I be better off just picking up a pen and paper until I can get a windows computer to do designs on?

Remove Ads