Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Hi, This is my first post.

I am a novice website builder. Would you be able to entertain some questions even though they may seem rudimentary?

Thanks,
    Woods

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Ask away ... whatever questions you might have.

Member #
    Great thanks.

What do you think of the following?

I am in concept mode. I am trying to visualize how my overall platform should begin.

Eventually I can see several websites. A few sites to be the landing pages for a few different digital magazines. And an additional site for a regular blog.

Each of the digital magazines should probably have their own facebook, twitter, instagram. And I suppose the blog as well.

The digital mags should probably be accessible or purchasable on iOS and Android/Google Play.

Perhaps on the Magazine Landing pages only a small portion of the content will be presented.

How might I proceed? I am thinking about Wordpress and one of the drag and drop themes out there right now. But which one?

And the platform for the "actual" "digital mag" that will be available on iOS could be built with what "Digital magazine" app or platform?

And then I am reading that there is a big debate in the web Design community as to whether or not to have one site be the landing page for all the magazines? But the debate is around the SEO issue and whether or not there will be a watering down of "push" of the separate magazines because of it?

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks,

Woods

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    About the digital magazines ... are they magazines that other people also sell? Or are these something you author yourself? What are the limitations of copyright and ownership?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have similar questions to Max, except that I'll add some stuff to it:

1) What's your revenue stream (or streams)? Things such as Adsense won't be available to you right away because you'll need to meet certain traffic/quality standards with one site first. That's your first piece of advice, by the way...start with one "magazine" and work out all the kinks in your idea. I don't know if you'll be able to "sell" articles or subscriptions, either. That's a tough sell even among the major players. Toronto Star (I know, not a magazine, but close enough) just laid off a bunch of people last year, and they're far from the only ones.

2) Why do you need several "magazines"? One big site will generally outperform several smaller ones, unless the smaller sites in this case serve specific niches.

3) Are you making sure that your content is original? Even if you cover a "saturated" topic, as long as it's not something like tech (which I doubt given that you want to use WP) you can find an audience with a fresh, well-thought-out take.

I have other thoughts, but it's hard to say which ones are valid without knowing more about your idea.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for you replies. and,
    Thank you for your patience while I try to get this thought process and discussion more focused.
    Please so our questions below our answers and comments.

The magazines will be our own produced magazines and content produced by people we know locally.
    We're not discussing copyrights, revenue streams or those kinds of thing at this moment.
    We are wanting to think about potential conceptual website, digital mag, and social media structure.
    We are starting with one magazine but want to keep the possibility of adding some others later on.

So for right now we are wanting to research what is the most popular online structure
    for existing magazine websites of digital magazines that are available for subscription
    at iOS and Android (Google Play) and possibly some other (popular) subscription method that may exist --
    We are wanting to hear how the online development of this website / digi mag concept is designed.

For example when you google wired magazine (a very popular digital (and print) magazine --- https://www.wired.com/
    You are taken to the magazine's "web page" and then down at the bottom you can subscribe to a digital version for iphones and tablets.
    Another example: Homes & Gardens magazine

Questions:

What format might the tablet and iphone versions be designed in or using what application? Perhaps InDesign/Photoshop? Illustrator and then
    reformatted via Adobe DSP? Or perhaps Adobe to PDF and then formatted for Tablet? Or perhaps using some of the online digital magazine formats
    such as Joomag, Issuu, or Magcast ?

And perhaps even going so far as to use some of the online magazine tools such as Canva, PicMonkey, logoMaker.com, etc.??

Thanks and we are looking forward to your responses so that this discussion can become more focused,
    Woods

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Well, now this thread is moving out of my area of expertise. I know very little about the digital magazine business. As they say on Shark Tank, "I'm out".

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you mean the apps themselves...as Max pointed out, that's not really what we're about here. We're about the websites themselves. Apps...I wouldn't even know where to begin to answer that question. I've built a few Windows apps for my own personal use, and I'm probably as close as it gets to anyone on here who would have any info. I'm also not sure where you're seeing the links for the apps in the footer...I don't see them in either site, and I looked at both on my Android phone.

The one thing I'll say about apps is that I tend to subscribe to Peter Thiel's thinking on smartphones and extend it to apps (and did before he said it):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/f...m-or-deny.html
    The age of Apple is over.

Confirm. We know what a smartphone looks like and does. It’s not the fault of Tim Cook, but it’s not an area where there will be any more innovation.
    What does that have to do with your particular question? It means that the smartphone is just about maxed out as far as usefulness is concerned and eventually it will just be another gadget...which means in turn that the apps on a smartphone will become increasingly less useful. The same logic applies for a tablet...what it is and where it is now is what it's going to be and where it's going to stay. We're also starting to see an increasing number of people working from home and doing pretty much everything from home...which means a mobile device isn't as useful to them as it would be to say the businessperson who needs to commute to his/her 9-5 or the retail store employee who needs to get to and from work. So building an app wouldn't be the way I'd do anything right now. I think smartphones and tablets will eventually find themselves in the "long term fad" section of history myself, and I think that's where Thiel was going with that statement. Point being...I wouldn't build an app personally if I were you, at least not in the short run. Doesn't mean you have to listen to me (and you may very well choose not to)...but if it were me personally, I probably wouldn't. Focus on building your web property up and building your subscriber base that way, and then add the app once you have the subscribers...if they want it by then.

As far as how websites are designed is concerned..."not Photoshop, not Illustrator, not any graphic editing tool". The first reason is simple...you build your site and you evolve it around its content, not the other way around. This includes the design process. You should have at least 5-10 articles written before you even think about trying to design anything, because at least you'll have real content to play with and see how it looks.

The second reason relates to the graphic editing tools themselves. They're designed for fixed sizes. Create a 728 x 90 pixel banner ad. Generate an 8.5" x 11" brochure. Things like that. Well...the web doesn't work like that. You have to think of as many different screen sizes and devices as possible, which means that you'll have to do different things for one screen size than you will for another (i.e. responsive design). Only two tools can make that happen...a good code editor and browsers.

As far as how they develop their "CMSes" (Content Management Systems, although I loathe that phrase)? Depends on the site. Lots use WP, although I wouldn't recommend that. Bigger sites such as Wired have their own because their needs are custom and quite often complex. For the customization reason, I suggest the latter...if you want to build something great, you need to start with a solid base. Most of the third-party stuff (e.g. WP) is anything but solid.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for your thooughts on this.

Perhaps I misinterpret your feedback because of my lack of experience in all of this - but I have read several accounts that suggest that the global digital magazine market is projected to grow from 14 percent in 2015 to 35 percent in 2020. And this is is predicated on the increased penetration of the Internet and extensive use of mobile devices.

Also my lack of experience belies that I hadn't realized that "digital magazine" were known as apps. But regardless I have read many online research articles that suggest that digital magazines are gaining in market share compared to print magazines.

I have also read that some of the most recent programs for publishing content to any format - automatically optimize the content to resize and work optimally tablets, phones and computers.

I wonder if there any forums dedicated to designing drag and drop design websites and also knowledge of the digital magazine format?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I wonder if there any forums dedicated to designing drag and drop design websites and also knowledge of the digital magazine format?
    That would be worth looking into. You might even email some digital magazine websites (contact them), about your topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads