Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Hi folks, first timer needing some help with wordpress

Hi all,

I'm using the tagdiv newspaper theme on my new site. I've integrated BB press and buddy press into this and have a functioning login and registration process.

My question is (thanks to buddypress) it all looks very wordpressy.

I have no issue with people knowing that the site is wordpress but I would like members and visitors to not feel that the site is it's own thing...

There's a wordpress toolbar at the top of the page for the buddypress login and all about joining and passwords come from wordpress.

Is this something that I can change so that the general user experience is a bit more unique and less wordpressy?

Any help here is very much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    First off, there's always a way. In fact, when it comes to coding, there's usually multiple ways.

WordPress is nothing but a code library. Someone had to write it. Lucky for us, it's open source, and we can edit anything we want. WP, and most of the larger plugin bases like BuddyPress usually expose methods we can use to change things without risking changing something just to have an update undo it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too wordpressy", but if you dig into the documentation for both WP and BuddyPress, you'll find there will be sections on theming. Following the docs, you can modify these things. In the very least, you can edit your WP theme's styles.css with new styles for anything. Use your browser's dev tools (usually hit F12) to look at what selector you would need to use. Then, add the styles to the bottom of the styles.css. That's the easiest way to visually alter things. It's best to create a child theme, so if the theme developer pushes an update, you won't lose those styles.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    First off, there's always a way. In fact, when it comes to coding, there's usually multiple ways.

WordPress is nothing but a code library. Someone had to write it. Lucky for us, it's open source, and we can edit anything we want. WP, and most of the larger plugin bases like BuddyPress usually expose methods we can use to change things without risking changing something just to have an update undo it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too wordpressy", but if you dig into the documentation for both WP and BuddyPress, you'll find there will be sections on theming. Following the docs, you can modify these things. In the very least, you can edit your WP theme's styles.css with new styles for anything. Use your browser's dev tools (usually hit F12) to look at what selector you would need to use. Then, add the styles to the bottom of the styles.css. That's the easiest way to visually alter things. It's best to create a child theme, so if the theme developer pushes an update, you won't lose those styles.
    Hello!

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I mean by 'wordpressy' is that buddlypress uses a toolbar that literally has the wordpress logo on it - super annoying and I can't find a way to get rid.

Digging deeper, what I eventually want to do is set up password resets to come from the company email rather than wordpress itself etc, until the entire forum is personalised and just doesn't look or feel like Wordpress.

I'm sure there's a way to get rid of the toolbar (I'm going to take a look at your suggestion soon, though I'm rubbish with CSS) but just feel like there's probably not a way to alter the entire way of registering and logging in so that it gets rid of wordpres?

Anyway super helpful, thanks so much!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You can customize it to make it look however you want. The limitations are your knowledge of WordPress, CSS, HTML and PHP. You might need some private help ... where you allow someone to actually go in and see what can or should be changed. The learning curve might be a bit steep.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    You can customize it to make it look however you want. The limitations are your knowledge of WordPress, CSS, HTML and PHP. You might need some private help ... where you allow someone to actually go in and see what can or should be changed. The learning curve might be a bit steep.
    Also, make sure you're using a Child Theme or else when the theme updates, all your customizations will be lost.

Member #
    Hi all
    I need some help

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Harry,

Start your own thread with your question, or how you need help.

Remove Ads