Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By turboguy

Thread: Website Design

Member #

Post Website Design

Does anyone have a reputable site that has step by step instructions for building a website?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    HTML Goodies: The Ultimate HTML Resource

As far as which type of site, and any idiosyncracies associated with it, you'd have to learn that on your own.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HeidiO View Post
    Does anyone have a reputable site that has step by step instructions for building a website?
    What do you mean by building a website? Most of us are either designers or developers and tend to lean towards those for building a website. On the other hand, I come from a content background so often this kind of question makes me think about building an online business.

If you want to learn web design and development, The Game has given you a good resource though I prefer https://www.freecodecamp.org/
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Here are the options.

1. You can hand code a site. To do that you need to know at least HTML and CSS. CodeAcadamy is the one I am a little familiar with but I am sure the resources that the others have provided are excellent. It isn't rocket science and with a few months of learning you should be able to do it.

2. WordPress is another option and probably the one I would recommend. It is free and a one click install from most hosting accounts. 27% of websites are using WordPress now so it is very popular. It is easy to use and you don't need to know HTML or CSS. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube showing how to build a web site using WordPress. There are lots of nice free templates and lots of free plug ins that help build a nice site. It is pretty good as far as SEO as well.

3. Use a drag and drop web site builder such as Wix or GoDaddy's site builder. They are pretty easy to use or so I am told. It may be just a bit more expensive but not bad. SEO isn't as good and they are not portable. In other words if you switch hosting you have to generally start over.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Codecademy (I think someone mentioned it) has a 10-week course on building sites from scratch. I too would recommend Wordpress. Although, I'd say the more HTML and CSS you know, the better so that you can customize your themes, etc.

Remove Ads