Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need advice for which platform to use.

I have created a few websites in the past using pure HTML, HTML templates and some using the Microsoft Visual Studio framework. Recently I have used WordPress but have become frustrated when the end user wants a tweak in the visual design and I am limited only to what the theme has to offer. I need more visual flexibility.

Is my best option to:
    1. Learn how to customize wordpress themes and create websites this way?
    2. Same as above but use Drupal or Joomla?
    3. Use a framework like yii or codeigniter? and hand code database connectivity if needed?
    4. Just code from scratch using HTML, js and PHP?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    All of those options are great, and none of them are the answer.

Here's the interesting part: you aren't limited to what WP themes offer in their settings. You can edit any theme directly or create a child theme and customize the look of it how you see fit.

The most effective answer to your question is to learn how to code. From there, you can literally do any one of those options at any time, and switch between them - or abandon them all and go with an infinite number of other options that are available to you. You'll break yourself free from just customizing things other people made. Make your own themes - or don't. Maybe make your own CMS or fork an existing one and improve it. Or don't. The choice would be yours.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    I can code, I'm just a tad rusty. So it appears your answer is closest to number 4? Code from scratch or use a PHP framework?
    Is one recommended much over the other? Laravel? Codeigniter? Other?
    I'll investigate the child theme thing for the short term and may jump back into coding for a long term solution.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    My answer is to do whatever is most appropriate for the individual project, and hone your skills to be able to jump into the right solution without marrying yourself to one or two options.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads