Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Opinions Again :)

Been reading lots of info on this forum and impressed on the skill level and the professionalism. So here is a few more questions on opinions.

Let me start by saying a few things about myself. My skill level, to get this out of the way for the pros. I know little to nothing about coding! I seen and jumped in the File structure of what it takes to run a website and this is from exploring via cpanel, WP and everything that goes into websitest. I did minor things with CSS and PHP, note minor one line or two maybe handful of CSS.

That's it everything else is via WP, plugins and page builders. I am A DIYer

On that note I built my own site for a business I am growing and the site does very well in pulling in new clients.Its a small localized business that I branded myself around. My next project is bigger and want to brand a name instead of me (for the haters in the industry). So I want to build a new site and everything I have read on here is telling me my plans to build is all WRONG or might not work. Or might not work for expansion!

First question is:
    1.can one actually make some money on a website that has lots of traffic or members? lets say 20k to 1 or 2 million? I know its not technical speak but lets say members and daily visits 1k. Still not technical terms but hey I am trying please have patience

2.I have content and can probably bring in 10k to 20k in a half a year to a year and build on that. I have a niche to grab attention and keep them but it has to be a forum (someones rule to never do because its already been done a lot). My industry is new and not overflowed with forums yet (animal behavior, consultants). yes I can do a FB group but why give the traffic to them, is what I keep thinking! (yes or no) i am looking into social media influencers....

3.plans for site is: have my main topic and build a following and than spread out to other topics in the field...simple...

This is all a plan and I am researching before I jump in like, domain name, hosting and the actual build which I am only use to WP but willing to learn more like Drupel if necessary. Would like to have a membership to keep track of how many followers/members guessing a forum might do that and maybe membership fees down the road. I belong to many FB groups that have 10 to 20k and rising as an admin and always thinking WHY am I on FB.

It's kind of like this forum with members or admins that have knowledge in their field. Tech was a new field few years back and is always changing. Seems like many of these plugins and such are created from obviously coders like members here (good or bad). In my industry I like to think I have a team that is good at what we do and many of us give away knowledge for free (like here) can we capitalize on this via online creating our network?

Hope all this makes sense and again TY for sharing your knowledge...I like doing things like building sites I was always interested in networking, computers and never really jumped into coding except for basic websites...
    Last edited by vinnymickey; Sep 04th, 2017 at 10:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Start with google adsense. Create the google account and put some ads on your site. You can make money even if people don't click on them. Google pays your bank account once each month if the balance by the first of the month goes over $100. At the end of the year, they send you a tax form ... yes you will pay income tax because it is income. I make enough each year to pay for all of my web hosting and some nights out on the town. I call it my "fun money".

As far as building your site, whatever works is fine. You can always change it later on. You'll get people criticizing and trolling whatever you. Do what works for you, and do what you want. It's your site, not ours. Go for it and have fun.
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 04th, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ya that's what I am looking for fun money I label it beer money ....it's a start..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you have a site with 20k or more page views per month, you can make regular "beer money" with Adsense. Can =/= will, however...it depends on your site, the niche it serves, whether it's suitable for Adsense, whether you can put ads on it in spots that will be effective, and a few other things. It also takes about a year or two for even a well-built, established site to start seeing decent coin with Adsense. I say this as someone who makes regular money with Adsense and has received a direct deposit monthly since December 2010. Will you make a living off it? Not initially. I don't and I've had Adsense for 10 years (this is my next mid-term goal). However, it's a good boost if you do it right.

Adsense may not be best suited for forums, however. The reason is that most forum members are regulars and tend to ignore the ads after a while. They also may reject you for this reason: they do prescreen sites before approving them for Adsense, and you do have to have minimum traffic levels (I think they're 3K views per month).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    cool something to think about. I guess i can use adsense on regular pages and not forums maybe try and get advertisers for forums. I definitely get the long term for building up to this and that is the plan. Working on retirement plans Can always use beer money and I can learn new things and keep the mind busy. TY

What about WP, AVADA and Simple Machines to start with? leaning towards AVADA as i like the options and pricing so far.

Hosting still very confused on that....

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I didn't understand the part about you creating a forum. Forums are really hard to do. Not the actual forum software, but running it. Moderating it, dealing with bad people, scammers, trolls, etc. I delete and ban users from here all the time. It's a bad deal. This forum is established and have several people trying to take care of it and keep it clean. My advice to you is not to create a forum, or a site where people can write content to it (like comments). Just my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I didn't understand the part about you creating a forum. Forums are really hard to do. Not the actual forum software, but running it. Moderating it, dealing with bad people, scammers, trolls, etc. I delete and ban users from here all the time. It's a bad deal. This forum is established and have several people trying to take care of it and keep it clean. My advice to you is not to create a forum, or a site where people can write content to it (like comments). Just my opinion.
    Definitely understand that as I am part of an admin team of a FB group that is approaching 13k and growing fast. Understand the effort that goes into that part. I have a team in place for that part of it. It is also what will grab the members and traffic. Same type of scene like here people looking for advise and learn we have a foundation to grow on. I just need to jump in and start building...

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    You mentioned Simple Machines Forums. I really like SMF. I own one forum using SMF and am a moderator on another. On my forum I used to use vBulletin which is considered the finest forum software but there is some cost with using it and switched to SMF and have never regretted it a bit. Should you decide to do a forum SMF would be a good choice.

I do agree a forum can be a bit of a pain. Part of that is deleting the spam. There are some decent security features to keep it to a minimum. The other negative is that sometimes you get members who can create some problems.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Was curious what about Phbb? I see responsive in mobile might be an issue with forum software...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Once again, my opinion ...

Forums are crappy in mobile versions. This forum vBulletin actually works fairly well (compared to others). The problem is, forums are all about threads, posts, and seeing "the large picture" in a conversation. Hard to do on a tiny screen with scrolling and navigating to posts. There is an app called Tap-a-Talk ... I found that to be even worse than the forum itself ;(

Remove Ads