Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Which tool(s) are recommended for an interface for developers to update yaml backend?

I've got a bunch of YAML files that are in an SVN repo. One of the things these YAML files do is to specify service and host check and alert attributes for Icinga2. The attributes adhere to a specific structure - a kind of home grown syntax. Right now these files are maintained by hand. We would like to build a simple web page that will allow developers to view and make modifications to the service and host checks (instead of submitting tickets for the SRE to do it). At a high level, such an interface would have to be able to parse the existing yaml, extract the Icinga-related stuff, present it in a view-friendly format, and allow the developer via clicks of a mouse and filling in text boxes and radio buttons, etc, to submit changes and/or submit brand new checks. Brand new checks would have to be compared to the existing YAML to make sure certain conditions are satisfied, for example we can't have duplicate names for service check, etc. The interface would have to generate valid YAML that adheres to the syntax and then insert/replace that YAML into the appropriate places in the flat files, and then check the files into to SVN.

My question is what kind of tools are appropriate for this interface? It's been years since I've done anything like this. Back in the day, we would have used PHP and Apache. Nowadays is there something more suitable?

We're talking a small environment, maybe about a hundred developers that would occasionally (once a day at most) use the interface.
    Last edited by mwtzzz; Sep 06th, 2017 at 11:11 PM.

Remove Ads