Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By new-forest-rambler

Thread: Use of 'Accordion' with lots of information

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Use of 'Accordion' with lots of information

Hi guys,

I'm new here, so first and foremost: hello!

Since 2003 I have been running my hobby site, called Wildlife Online, which contains natural history info about British wildlife (where I'm based). Over the years the content has grown significantly and last year I decided it was about time to upgrade my site to a compliant (WordPress) platform. The previous versions of the site were built (by me) in FrontPage (>cringe<) and later in Expression Web. It's been years since I've done any web building and have never been particularly competent at it (hence the use of the aforementioned software), so I hired a web designer to build the framework so I could work on the content. Now she's handed the site over and I've finished revising the content I've started migrating it to the new site. Most of it's straightforward(ish), even for me, but I'm after some advice on using accordion layouts.

As my main articles are pretty long, I've split out some further subjects that warrant more detailed discussion into a series of questions and answers. At the moment, the structure on the new site uses an accordion element, clicking each question to drop down the answer. I'm wondering, though, whether there's a better way of doing this, or splitting it up? Here's what I mean:

Currently my QA section on foxes is split across two different pages, each pretty long:

Fox QA 1
    Fox QA 2

The content is going into the following structure on the WordPress site:

WordPress Fox QA

I'm worried the amount of content on here might be too great for the accordion to manage. Any thoughts on the best approach? Should I try and split the pages?

Thanks for your time.
    Cheers,
    Marc.

Member #
    I see what you mean, there is a lot of content. What about a "read more" tag? That might break it up to where you just have an excerpt and then the rest of the article when the user clicks "read more".

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks DigitalEffex. I'll look into that, certainly for the main articles, which are also long and sectioned. Someone on another forum suggested an alternative structure, so I'll have a play and see what I can come up with.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    DigitalEffex likes this.

Remove Ads