Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Website with searchable and viewable database...Or something like that.

I want to create a website that shows my ratings for pieces of art Iíve seen. In this website I want to be able to search for the Ďart rating and reviewí based on the painting type, artist name, artist nationality, century when the painting was created, etc. Also I want to be able to add art review entries as time goes by.

I heard about Wix.com a while ago and gave it a go. Beautiful UI, and I was pleased with the ability to create these art reviews similar to a blog post. One thing was missing though. The idea of searching and finding art reviews based on matching criteria (such as those mention above) using check boxes and such. I couldnít find a way to do it on Wix.com so I turned to learning HTML and CSS (previous coding experience helped). Needless to say, thatís some powerful stuff. Still the idea of creating, adding to, and searching through a database that can be accessed on my website seems daunting and I want to start on the right foot.

I did some research and it seems like I need to learn SQL. (another language?) I havenít looked into SQL yet but am I on the right track to create the website I want?

Thanks, Michal

Member #
    You dont have to learn sql. Just make Wordpress site (there is many good free themes), write your reviews, add categories and tags. Then search for whatever you want.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Noths1981 View Post
    You dont have to learn sql. Just make Wordpress site (there is many good free themes), write your reviews, add categories and tags. Then search for whatever you want.
    I will give it a shot, thanks! (I might still explore HTML and CSS because it looks fun.)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Michal,
    Art is something that appeals to all people and what your ranking might be, mine won't be the same. In fact, ALL art will be ranked different in your eyes than mine or anyone else. That being said, what difference does it make what your ranking is? OK, so the site reader can see what are you like, and that's fine, but what benefit or use is that to anyone? Why would people visit your site, for what reason? This is the same thing as movie and song ratings. I don't get it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kent2 View Post
    I think just learning SQL for implementing search site option isn't enough because it is just backend. You need to use both backend and frontend to create the website with that range of options that you've described. But if you don't have time and money you can build the website with WordPress simply by buying a theme or build it from scratch.
    Thanks, I've already started using Wordpress. It's been good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Michal,
    Art is something that appeals to all people and what your ranking might be, mine won't be the same. In fact, ALL art will be ranked different in your eyes than mine or anyone else. That being said, what difference does it make what your ranking is? OK, so the site reader can see what are you like, and that's fine, but what benefit or use is that to anyone? Why would people visit your site, for what reason? This is the same thing as movie and song ratings. I don't get it.
    I understand what you mean. To be honest, I was a little vague with my website idea and it is not exactly what I originally posted. My website looks at a specific type of art that really only would be interesting to a specific group of people. I try to be objective with my rating and analysis based on material that I have been reading for the last while. I have the idea of expanding to include other opinions and display an average rating, but for now I'm not focusing on that.

Although I agree many have different taste in art, I would argue that beauty in art is objective. A beauty that IMHO has been decaying for a while now.

Remove Ads