Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help needed with form design..i think!

Hi all,

This is a great resource. Thanks!

This may sound like a dumb question but I am new to the web design world and I am trying to create a site that is similar in principle to the one care.com uses. What I mean is that I need the site to be able to capture the profile of employees ( fields like availability to work, skill set, contact details etc) and then make all those profiles searchable by employers.

The employer would then choose who they require, and the site (form) would automatically email the person chosen. Like I said, kinda like care.com

Could someone please point me in the right direction. Would I be able to use site builders like wix, weebly etc and what types of forms/databases would I need?

All advice is greatly appreciated, thx Steve.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    For sure you can't use a "free" webhost like Wix or Weebly ... they don't allow server-side scripting (such as PHP)

So you'll get a shared webhost account with GoDaddy or whoever, and create your website there.

You might be able to find a pre-made script that is close to what you want, but will need to customize it.

A quick Google search I find this:
    https://codecanyon.net/item/job-portal/15330095

For $27, you have the backbone for your website. There are probably a few more scripts similar (I didn't spend much time researching it).

You probably will hire a freelancer to install it, configure, get it working, and customize for you.

As a beginner, this will be a steep learning curve if you decide to do this yourself ... but it can be done.

Member #
    Thanks alot mlseim. If I undertstand you correctly, I just build a basic website with go daddy and have a script like what you recommended attached?

Not sure I get what you mean by shared webhost account, is this the domain name and having it hosted by go daddy?

Thx.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    A "shared" webhost account is where you and everyone else subscribes to an account on a webhost such as GoDaddy ... everyone is using the same servers but everyone has their own "rental space". You are given a block of disk space for all of your stuff, and you have your own control over that space. I've never had issues with shared webhosting, but technically you are sharing the same servers as everyone else. It could be a security risk at some level. There are also some limitations put on the accounts.

The same webhosts can provide "virtual servers" and "secure servers", where you are given your own server. Much more expensive, but much more secure.

The script I mentioned becomes your website. Your website would look and work like the live demo they provide. You would customize it however you want since it would be on your website (you are in control of it). When you purchase the script, you are given permission to download the whole zipped file. That script would have to be installed, or put into place on your shared webhost account.

Member #
    Thanks mate, you have really clarified a few things for me!

I like the looks of that script so I will investigate more and see how customizable it can be.

Once again thank you. I will post again if I get stuck.

Remove Ads