Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: What app created them?

Member #

What app created them?

Is it possible to know with what application might a website be created with?
    Let's make it a bit more specific... w
    ith what apps were these two websites A & B created with? Are there specific templates used? And if somebody would want to create something similar, how would he begin? His knowledge on web design is close to 10% :-)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    The "B" website is a Squarespace site, created on squarespace.

The "A" site may be handmade.

Here's something interesting ...
    If you go to the "mousegraphics" website, you will see that they capture where you are coming from. In this case, they know I'm coming from WDF and this is inserted into their source code.

Code:
    <form id="F0874797001511118366" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST" action="http://www.mousegraphics.eu/" ><input type="hidden" name="form_identity" value="F0874797001511118366" ></input><input type="hidden" name="direction" value="" ></input><div class="">
      <input type='hidden' name='loginLogoutReferer' value='http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum/general-web-design-discussion/48873-what-app-created-them.html'/><span class="login-control right col-xs-6 col-lg-2">
      <span class="submit">
    It is probably done using JQuery, as it looks like they are using a lot of it.

The "referer" is entered as a 'hidden' input type, so you don't see it with their form.

Interesting.
    Last edited by mlseim; Nov 19th, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Here's something interesting ...
    If you go to the "mousegraphics" website, you will see that they capture where you are coming from. In this case, they know I'm coming from WDF and this is inserted into their source code.

Code:
    <form id="F0874797001511118366" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST" action="http://www.mousegraphics.eu/" ><input type="hidden" name="form_identity" value="F0874797001511118366" ></input><input type="hidden" name="direction" value="" ></input><div class="">
      <input type='hidden' name='loginLogoutReferer' value='http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum/general-web-design-discussion/48873-what-app-created-them.html'/><span class="login-control right col-xs-6 col-lg-2">
      <span class="submit">
    It is probably done using JQuery, as it looks like they are using a lot of it.

The "referer" is entered as a 'hidden' input type, so you don't see it with their form.

Interesting.
    1. What might be the use of this "capturing" that you spotted?
    2. What do you mean by "referer" and why is it "hidden"?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    1. Figuring out where your traffic is coming from to help analyze your users and know what channels you need to be working to increase traffic.
    2. Referrer is the site you linked from. It's hidden because A) there's no reason to show it, as you would just quietly pass it to a script on your server and B) some people get super weirded out when you track anything they do.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Lots of site track visitors and from where they were referred. I use Google Analytics, and there are other webhost tools. I just thought it was interesting that they use the method that I noticed. I really haven't seen that before, but then again, I've never looked. Nothing wrong with it, just something I noticed.
    zoran likes this.

Member #
    How specific can this tracking become? I mean what kind of info of the site's visitors can it supply? Do you have any examples of what information such tracking would show? I mean like, will it provide from which country the visitor is from, or even more info?
    Last edited by zoran; Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:48 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Lots of site track visitors and from where they were referred. I use Google Analytics, and there are other webhost tools. I just thought it was interesting that they use the method that I noticed. I really haven't seen that before, but then again, I've never looked. Nothing wrong with it, just something I noticed.
    It does seem a bit odd. It says "loginLogoutReferer", so I assume they're using it in the context of user access. I'm curious how the referrer would be relevant to that.

Quote Originally Posted by zoran View Post
    How specific can this tracking become? I mean what kind of info of the site's visitors can it supply? Do you have any examples of what information such tracking would show? I mean like, will it provide from which country the visitor is from, or even more info?
    It doesn't provide tracking information, but you can get their IP address and use that to get a rough location. These are the headers that are passed: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/http/...der_fields.htm
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Maybe they are specifically looking for someone coming from a particular website. With that, they might redirect or do something different. Google Analytics will provide that info just like any other web stats, but what they're doing is real-time. They can make the website do something as soon as they see where the user came from.

Member #
    "make the website do something as soon as they see where the user came from"? Do something like what? This does sound very mysterious!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Pretty much anything one might think of. Usually, they would just store it for analysis later, but usually that would all happen server-side...unless they're doing it with JavaScript and only sending it to the server when a form is submitted, which I suppose makes sense if you're just trying to track where conversions are coming from. Although, I would want more info than that, like a ratio of the visits to conversions.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Remove Ads