Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question User submited reviews

Hello. I was a bit uncertain what title this thread should have. I know very little about crating a website. I want to create a page where people can rate and review products. I am thinking that this might be too complicated for products like Squarespace, and that I might need to use some coding to achieve this. I would very much appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction!

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    We need to know more information.

Are all of the products on your website, or are you pulling them from somewhere else?

How many products?

What is so special about your products ... example, your products are not already on Amazon. I'm asking because why won't people just use Amazon?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I would recommend setting this up with Wordpress. You can find millions of wordpress tutorials online, showing you how to get started. As for the functionality, there are also wordpress plugins that already exist that may suit the needs of your product comparison, for example there is a Woocommerce plugin for wordpress that can compare prices. Alternatively, if your products are external, you may need to get a web developer to build you a custom wordpress plugin to achieve this.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the late respond.. I don't know if such a site is necessary, but I found myself wishing there was a site where people could warn others about **** products or manufactures. Sort of to put some pressure on manufactures who are making **** products just for money and not being honest about their products. Sort of a website to slam products or manufactures who deserve it because they are taking advantage of people. So if you are going to buy a certain item you could check this site to avoid some of the worst products.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    @StaleBT,

I agree your intent is noble and needed, but I think you would be wasting your time and money. Amazon does the same thing with their rating system and even that has flaws. I'm sure there are trolls that bash products, rating them as 1 star, and fake people that rate them 5 stars. That means the ratings are biased or false. If there is a bad product, enough people will rate them where the data becomes valid ... people tend to rate things when they are bad, not when they are good.

The other issue is "personal judgement". What I think is bad, or my personal experience may not be bad for another person. Everyone has their own "line to cross". Some people complain about everything, yet others never complain.

Using wordpress would be the easiest way to get a site up and running. But in my opinion, you are not going to be happy with the results.

Remove Ads