Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Can't start website construction - spiinning my wheels

At 64 years old, I now have a need for a web site and I have no idea where to go or how to start.

My budget for this is near zilch so a free web page and free hosting are high on the list of needs.

I would like to use a free website builder to do with as I have zero website building skills or experience.

The plan is to just let my audience know that I exist, make it easy for them to contact me and how I can help them and. I will be providing advice for them via their return email address.

I need a on screen "Contact" form, an "About me" button an "Articles" button and a Testimonials button with room to add one or two more buttons later. I will also need a Paypal or similar, button.

I reckon I should be able to get all that on one single screen size web page.

I would like this to be an Australian site with a .com.au ending in the address, if possible.

Appreciate all advice on suitable free on-line website builders, and free hosting in Australia.

E,g can I use, for example, a US based free website builder and then place the website with a free web hoster in Australia?

thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Where your host is located won't matter much. The .com.au address can be pointed to any hosting service.

In terms of free hosting, I have to recommend that you don't go with free. In general, free hosting will either hijack your site and show ads you can't control, or will sell your information or information about your users to make their money. Additionally, you can find perfectly adequate hosting for around $5 per month.

Most hosting companies have some kind of site builder you can use, though they aren't very good in general. If you can spend just a little more than that,Squarespace has an excellent builder, can host your site and they have really nice templates you can work from for $16 per month. Wix is also an option, and they have plans starting around $10 per month.

You really can't do better on a budget than these options, especially if you don't have experience building sites or can't afford to hire someone to do it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Use SquareSpace and subscribe to their CC handling service. Easy. They have an easy site builder for someone with little experience.

You'll just have to pay. If you want to sell things, consider it part of the business.

Ask someone for a loan and pay them back when you "sell" something.

You'll also have to advertise. Nobody will visit your site unless they know about it.

It won't appear on Google for maybe 4 months? And that means you have to promote it to even get noticed.

Member #
    Thank you both for your help, much valued. It seems I'm back to square one. thanks

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I realize that some people just don't have the extra money available to spend on website or internet stuff. But what you think is "free" or what other people say is "free", is not really "free".

Just to have your own domain name, for any reason, is not free. You have to pick a domain name not yet used, and register it. That costs money and there is nothing you can do about it. The domain name account is totally separate from a webhost / website account.

You are 64 years old, and that really doesn't matter. The only difference is, you've lived a lifetime of technology growth and probably have a much better appreciation for what technology has to offer ... compared to when you were 15 years old.

There is no reason you really need to have a webhost account in Australia. The internet is world wide. You can subscribe to a webhost such as "cleverdot.com" for $39.95 (USD) for one year. That's a special price that includes your own domain name AND the webhost account. After that, it's about $55 / year. $40 for me is less than a tank of gas for my car.

The domain name you pick ... you have the choice of your dot-com. You pick .au as the extension.

To have BOTH .com AND .au, you need to pay for two domain name accounts. Again, you will not get them for free.

Do you have a FaceBook account? Maybe that should be your "website" where people can contact you. That's free.

I don't know what else to say. Services cost money. Someone has to pay for the hardware and software to contain your website for the world to see.

Remove Ads