Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Web Design - Tables vs css learning web design

Member #

Web Design - Tables vs css learning web design

Hi,

I am currently taking an intro to web design class. We are learning to mock up our sites in photoshop then build the sites in dreamweaver using tables.

As I have been looking on the internet about web design I have been seeing pages about responsive web design and using css instead of tables.

I see that responsive web design may be something that is too complicated for beginners.

But what about using CSS instead of tables? is one better than the other? and table an older, possibly outdated way of doing web design?

Thank You
    Honey Asin
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jan 02nd, 2018 at 06:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Most of the other members are far more knowledgeable than I am but here are my thoughts anyway. First off my compliments to you for being very smart and realizing that there are better ways to do things than what you are being taught at the moment. You are correct. A decade or two ago tables were a common way to structure a web site. I doubt that anyone uses them any more. CSS is a far better way to control page layout. Dreamweaver itself has fallen out of favor but it is a nice learning tool in that you can see the code and it's effect on the site just by changing your view. I am guessing your instructor may want to have your learning progress in stages and that they may move on to CSS. By the way there is no problem using CSS with a Dreamweaver site or creating a responsive web site using Dreamweaver which is something your instructor will likely cover later.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    wow ... still using tables in web design classes? and still using Dreamweaver? That's sort of sad.

Get through the class, but go online and learn about CSS and responsive layouts.

There is a proper place for using tables, and that is for lists of tabular data. Even that can be done table-less, but that's what tables are really for.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    wow ... still using tables in web design classes? and still using Dreamweaver? That's sort of sad.
    Isn't it? I thought my "Web Programming II" course with drag/drop ASP was pretty friggin outdated, but they were at least working with CSS.

That said, pretty sure OP is a spammer. I edited a link drop out of the post, and they're IP is in a country not unlikely to spam. Thought I'd leave it for now to see if they're legit/serious.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Tables are definitely outdated. I remember being in college and asking my tutor how to do something in CSS and they never even knew what CSS was, so you're not to blame.

CSS is the way forward, use tables only when absolutely necessary, for example a table of data.

My advice would be to look at CSS Frameworks, for example Bootstrap or Skeleton etc. These will give you a broader idea of layouts using divs and CSS.

Remove Ads