Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Iparasi
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Web design question

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Web design question

Hi,

I need some advise. I want to create a website that parents and carers join as members (there is an upgrade facility where they would pay a fee to get more details from each other in order to communicate further about their care requirements), create their profiles for care seeking or care giving and then they have the capability to communicate with each other within the website membership area, via the internal messaging system.

I had started to create my website via Weebly then realised 3/4 way through that Weebly don't have this capability in their website set up, so cancelled my subscription with Weebly. If someone could point me to the right direction on where to look and which website building would support this, would be great!

Ideally the type of service I would be offering is like the below websites??

www.care.com or www.findababysitter.com

I hope someone can help me, as I feel abit stuck of where to look and really want to get going with this!

Thank you!

Lilian

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Site builders like Wix and Weebly are not capable of handling your requirements.
    If you don't have the skills to do this yourself you will have to hire someone.
    What skills do you currently have?
    Several members are likely to suggest Wordpress. Don't listen. Unless you are an advanced PHP programmer it will be a nightmare.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Delstu,

Thanks for the information. I have no skills at all in website design! Weebly website design was just about what I could handle, but anything more complicated, I couldn't do it myself! Which is the best way to go about finding someone who can do this for me without it costing an arm and a leg??

Lilian

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    That depends on what you see as "an arm and a leg". You're talking about building a web application. That gets expensive fast, and you ALMOST ALWAYS get what you pay for. I'm working on a project now that has 2 developers, has been ongoing for 2.5 years, and has cost well into the 6 digits.

If you want to go the cheap route, you could maybe get a Middle Eastern development company to crank it out for a few thousand. It may be decent, it probably won't be. I could probably turn out a project like this in the $5000-7000 range. That's about middle of the road for something like this.

The thing to understand is that your business is this website. It's going to take money to get it going. If the price tag is too high, consider getting some investment into the project from outside.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Roland,

Thanks for the insight. By an arm and a leg I was thinking something that would cost in the region of more than 2000...I am researching my options right now and as you said if it does cost more than planned I could always look to getting a grant from my local council for a start-up business..

Lilian
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    What is special about your service that other similar services can't already do?
    Maybe your idea is already available.

I've had people ask me how to create a website like FaceBook. Really? Why waste the time and money?

Have you researched your idea?
    Tell us how many carers and parents you expect to have.

How will you advertise, and how much are you willing to spend on just advertising?

Explain your business plan.

You might have a great idea, but if you plan on spending money to develop it, you had better be sure that you will fulfill a need. Create something that will grow and be sustainable. Do your homework.

i'm saying all of this because there are so many "Angie's List" sites that already match households to babysitters and caregivers. Maybe you could just create a special FaceBook group that fulfills the need ... For no cost at all.

I googled to find pre-made scripts that pertain to matching caregivers, I found this in 30 seconds:
    http://itechscripts.com/care-clone/

Dozens of scripts like that ...

Even WordPress themes of the same topic ...
    https://themeforest.net/item/babysit...-theme/5702597

Buy a pre-made script and customize it.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 05th, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sounds like a project you need to outsource to a company in my opinion. Just by the pitch, I'd recommend a custom build as this kind of exceeds the scope and ability of platforms. WordPress is good, but it's far too much - you'd be stripping everything out rather than adding things in.

You needs USP's about your project and why it's going to stand out from the rest. Why are you better than the market leaders? You need to establish a business plan, marketing strategy, development brief etc.

Most development companies give free quotations - I'd approach them and ask them for pricing.

Personally, I know my company would charge in the region of 6k-9k for something like this.

Wishing you the best of luck and don't give up!

Remove Ads