Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt @ BSH

Thread: setting up new site

Member #

setting up new site

Hi All,

I wanted to set up a new website. Although I totally disagree with their politics, I really like the layout of the infowars.com site. I was thinking this would be a good layout for the site that I want to create. Do you guys think this is like a wordpress automated website, or is it something hand programmed?

Does anyone have tips or suggestions about how I could set up a site with a similar layout?

I know some basic html, and I've created un-sophisticated websites in the past, but it's been awhile.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi Erik

I've looked into the website and can tell you this is just a standard WordPress Blog website. It's not automated by the looks of things and does have authors publishing directly via the WordPress back-end.

I can help you get setup on a server, with WordPress installed and also show you how to manage WordPress.

Get in touch if you want my help!
    htmlcode likes this.

Member #
    Hey Matt,

I sent you a PM. Thanks for taking a look man!
    Last edited by erikjones861; Jan 09th, 2018 at 05:55 PM.

Member #
    I have been researching wordpress a bit more. I didn't realize that you can host directly with wordpress. I tried contacting wordpress support to ask them if they could help me locate a theme that is similar to the one I wanted, but they said that they couldn't help me until I switched hosting to them. I currently have hosting with bluehost, but bluehost has a 30 day return policy. I not sure if I should take advantage of this and switch over to wordpress. I'm also not sure how much wordpress charges per month as compared to bluehost.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erikjones861 View Post
    I have been researching wordpress a bit more. I didn't realize that you can host directly with wordpress. I tried contacting wordpress support to ask them if they could help me locate a theme that is similar to the one I wanted, but they said that they couldn't help me until I switched hosting to them. I currently have hosting with bluehost, but bluehost has a 30 day return policy. I not sure if I should take advantage of this and switch over to wordpress. I'm also not sure how much wordpress charges per month as compared to bluehost.
    Eric, I can get you setup on hosting for 3 a month. WordPress is a one-click install on the server. Free SSL too! I've sent you a PM
    Last edited by Matt @ BSH; Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Free offer

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    I have been researching wordpress a bit more. I didn't realize that you can host directly with wordpress.
    There are actually two WordPresses One is at wordpress,.com and one at wordpress,org. The one at WordPress,org does not offer hosting but they do have a list of recommended hosts someone can use. As far as I know the one at WordPress.com is only available with their hosting and they have pricing ranging from free and up depending on what you need. I would never recommend a free site by the way.

The WordPress at Wordpress,org is the better one to use and it can be installed with one click from most hosting packages such as the one Matt is offering you. It would also install with one click on your bluehost hosting account. One more thing I will add is my guess is the list of recommended hosting providers on WordPress.org are most likely those who pay to be listed as a recommended hosting company.

Member #
    Thanks All,

I have been playing around with BlueHost a bit more. I selected one of the themes, but it's not really allowing me to customize it to the level that I would like to. I think unless I find the perfect theme, then I will not have the freedom to create the site I have envisioned. Wordpress seems quite rigid.

I was contemplating just writing the website from scratch so I can make it look similar to the infowars site, but I'm not sure how I would get that window on the front page to change different news stories. I wonder if that's some sort of plugin that I could add to my site. I'll need to be able to easily update the news a couple times per week.

Also, I would like to add in a phpbb forum to the homepage of the site, but I don't think wordpress is going to allow for that, unless I find a perfect theme.

I would also like to add an online store.

Maybe the next best option would be one of these buy-a-developer sites and have someone make all this for me. I don't want to spend a ton of money doing this, but I know some of the developers in the Czech republic are reasonably priced.

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    I may be above my knowledge in posting this answer but most WordPress themes can be modified most any way at all. Sometimes it is just a case of figuring out how to do what you want. You might want to start of with a pretty basic theme and go something like the Pagebuilder plugin to lay out your pages the way you want. Some modifications will require you to set up a child theme and have some knowledge of PHP. There are some forum plugins for WordPress that should be easy to add to your home page but I haven't looked at them to see if they look decent or not. I am more familiar with Simple Machines forums but have seen some phpbb forums and they are nice. There should be some plugins that let you display a news feed as well. That is something else I have never wanted or looked at for my sites but I am fairly certain they do exist. Fiverr is another option if you want some cheap help with it.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks All,

I have been playing around with BlueHost a bit more. I selected one of the themes, but it's not really allowing me to customize it to the level that I would like to. I think unless I find the perfect theme, then I will not have the freedom to create the site I have envisioned. Wordpress seems quite rigid.

I was contemplating just writing the website from scratch so I can make it look similar to the infowars site, but I'm not sure how I would get that window on the front page to change different news stories. I wonder if that's some sort of plugin that I could add to my site. I'll need to be able to easily update the news a couple times per week.

Also, I would like to add in a phpbb forum to the homepage of the site, but I don't think wordpress is going to allow for that, unless I find a perfect theme.

I would also like to add an online store.

Maybe the next best option would be one of these buy-a-developer sites and have someone make all this for me. I don't want to spend a ton of money doing this, but I know some of the developers in the Czech republic are reasonably priced.
    The problem with using 3rd party themes is that they're specifically designed for that theme's market or can be slightly modified in someways but it takes a while to modify it.

However, I'm imagining your project is something which is kind of bespoke and requires a bespoke theme to be built. With WordPress you can bolt-on the likes of WooCommerce, this will provide the shop functionality you need.

WordPress also has another plugin called BBPress which can turn your site into a forum if you wanted.

My suggestion would be to keep looking for relatively similar themes to what you want. Try Themeforest etc.

Remove Ads