Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Lightbulb New website, i want to make a cloud service for freinds.

Hello. So, i'm partly new at this but i learn quick.

http://nigguh.no

I got myself my own domain, because i have plans on creating my own cloud service for specific friends (server.domain.com). I want to locally host the cloud storage from my computer. I also want people to create their own profile/and or use Facebook login, to access their own server folder. This is supposed to be free storage, but maybe its possible to make restrictions for others there? Like an admin panel for me to manage how much storage each profile get access too?

I also rented my domain from a page called Domeneshop.no, with a "1gb Web hotel". Figure i didn't need anymore since I'm going to be the one hosting the server storage? I think i made a mistake renting from them.

I guess i need help with this. I try to read my self up on this, but all i find is not really relevant to what i want to achieve.

Is there anyone out there who can give me some literature i can read myself up on how to configure all this?
    Or maybe be so incredible kind to teach me their ways? I really got bit by the webdesign bug, but don't really hold the experience to take on this task all by my self....

if you have any ideas, tips, or generally anything to point me in the right direction id be so happy!

If i dont read your reply you can get in contact with me at Vegardterning@live.com.
    I'm hanging in Discord all day, if your the voice chat type of guy.

If there is a kind soul out there i'm looking forward to hear from you

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi Mayhem,

Are you experienced with HTML/PHP/jQuery/AJAX etc? To build something quite complex like this is a massive learning curve. It's a big project, I've tried to build one myself.

You're also probably going to need load balancing servers which my company offers. This spreads your load over servers when you have high traffic, stops the site slowing down etc.

Your best bet at the moment is learning how to upload and save file via PHP. This will teach you database relationships and lots of other things related. Don't run before you can walk!

Any further help needed get in touch!

Member #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt @ BSH View Post
    Hi Mayhem,

Are you experienced with HTML/PHP/jQuery/AJAX etc? To build something quite complex like this is a massive learning curve. It's a big project, I've tried to build one myself.

You're also probably going to need load balancing servers which my company offers. This spreads your load over servers when you have high traffic, stops the site slowing down etc.

Your best bet at the moment is learning how to upload and save file via PHP. This will teach you database relationships and lots of other things related. Don't run before you can walk!

Any further help needed get in touch!
    Thanks for the reply! I will look into php, i figured id have to deep into that part aswell! Worked a couple of months on SQL Database a couple of years ago. Hope i remember some of that! lol.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I will look into php, i figured id have to deep into that part aswell! Worked a couple of months on SQL Database a couple of years ago. Hope i remember some of that! lol.
    Not a problem Mayhem! Do you have a server etc that you can test on? If you need help setting up I'd be happy to help!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It sounds like you want to use your own computer, at your home?

If that is the case, you should contact your ISP (internet service provider) and find out if you are allowed to do that.

Most ISP's don't allow people to use their home computers as a webhost server. The required ports are often not enabled, and the bandwidth can be enormous.

But if you have a business account with your ISP, that might be possible.

Remove Ads