Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By briennaleigh
  • 1 Post By ambrosia99
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By deepvyas

Thread: Building a commercial website?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Building a commercial website?

Okay, so first off I know I'm probably in the wrong place entirely but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I used to build websites on Dreamweaver back in the day....like 10 years ago. I've always been a computer nerd. I'm now in a position to build a commercial website for someone, and i dont really know what i'm doing? But with some tutorials and memory refreshing, I think I can figure this out. I really need as much advice as possible.

Right now all i know is they have a GoDaddy domain name, and that's about it. Where do i go from here?
    vraising likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi briennaleigh,

What I like to do when I gain a new client is write a list of the things I'll need from them to get started on the website - a small questionnaire if you like. It usually looks like this:

1. Do you have a domain name organised?
    2. Do you have hosting and if so, where?
    3. Do you have a logo?
    4. Do you have a particular colour scheme in mind?
    5. Please provide me with examples of websites you like the look of

Hope this helps
    - Amber
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by briennaleigh;292504I
    used to build websites on Dreamweaver back in the day....like 10 years ago. I've always been a computer nerd. I'm now in a position to build a commercial website for someone, and i don't really know what I'm doing?
    That tells us where you were 10 years ago. Where are you now and what do you know? Where do you want to be? Do you want to learn to code or do you plan on using a site-builder like Dreamweaver?

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I am no expert but here are my thoughts on what your options are.

Dreamweaver was a pretty popular program a decade ago but not so much any more. It still is a viable option but I would not suggest using your 10 year old Dreamweaver. If you go this way you should have at least CS-6 or newer but could get by with as old as CS-3. Websites today need to be responsive so they appear well on any device from a desktop to a phone and the ability to easily create responsive web sites started with CS-6. There are a number of responsive templates available but not as many choices as there used to be when Dreamweaver was more popular but you can really use any bootstrap based responsive template. These days Dreamweaver is no longer sold as a program and is a subscription based service.

This isn't a choice I would rate as the best but you could go with one of the services that make creating a web site pretty easy such as Wix. There are negatives to this mostly in lack of portability and SEO. It also can be a bit more expensive. Shopify is another choice if it is ecommerce. There are also web site builders like GoDaddy has and most hosts have something similar.

An option I might suggest taking a hard look at is WordPress. WordPress is a CMS (content management system) which makes it easy for your customer to do his own updates. There is a pretty good plug in for e-commerce called WooCommerce and WordPress is pretty good for SEO. There are other CMS choices such as Joomla. Personally I like WordPress better than Joomla. About 27% of all websites today are WordPress based. There are two versions of WordPress. One is at WordPress.com and one at WordPress.org. You want the .org one which can be installed with one click on most any hosting account. There are thousands of templates available and many nice free ones. There are plugins to do most anything you could ever dream of. There are tons of tutorials on WordPress on YouTube and some on Dreamweaver if you want to go that way.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Purchase hosting server and domain based on choice
    Choose base theme to install paid or free one
    Upload images and content you want on site
    Link domain name
    Promote your store through social media adds

Hope this gives you base to start
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Totally agree with Deepvays' point here

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    we can build website through blog,start building with wordpress which is good one and it is simple and easy.

Remove Ads