Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

no experience - big project regarding reservation system

hello everyone, I am tasked to create a iDeal payment system on a website, but I have absolutely no clue where to start.

How does it actually work? I was so confused that I decided to leave it to a third-party payment website, where you copy paste the code on the website and have a payment system ready in a few minutes.

I want to build my own system like this > calendar with available seats (several types) > choose date > it will notify you if there is space available > if available then proceed to seat (choose seat in a ship) > payment (iDeal)
    I have absolutely no clue how it works and currently the site is hosted on a place where not even the page code can be edited, it is purely site builder with a gui.

My steps are now to move to hostgator or any other professional site, then build a payment / reservation system.
    Any help would be welcome .... I'm really a noob so need step by step explanation

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by degeneration View Post
    hello everyone, I am tasked to create a iDeal payment system on a website, but I have absolutely no clue where to start.

How does it actually work? I was so confused that I decided to leave it to a third-party payment website, where you copy paste the code on the website and have a payment system ready in a few minutes.

I want to build my own system like this > calendar with available seats (several types) > choose date > it will notify you if there is space available > if available then proceed to seat (choose seat in a ship) > payment (iDeal)
    I have absolutely no clue how it works and currently the site is hosted on a place where not even the page code can be edited, it is purely site builder with a gui.

My steps are now to move to hostgator or any other professional site, then build a payment / reservation system.
    Any help would be welcome .... I'm really a noob so need step by step explanation
    Question. Why would you take on a massive project if you know nothing about it? Surely you would look into it first before accepting the job?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    In your case, it would probably be best to subcontract, or drop the job.

If you still want to try to pursue this, it's time to learn some backend code. If you're going to go with a host like Hostgator, PHP would probably be the best place for you to start. There's a few ways to go about this.

You can build all of those views you describe as individual PHP pages. They will need to draw from a database, taking the users' input and processing it.

The more modern approach would be to have a single page front end and a backend API. An API is basically an address you can push data to and get data in return using AJAX.

It can be done, and it doesn't sound overly complicated, but without the relevant experience, you've gotten yourself into a hell of a bind.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    I agree it's a big project.

But just for fun, do you have a drawing of the ship that shows the seating?

I would display a drawing that shows the seats and then a script that visually shows which seats are reserved for any given date.
    Sort of like the airlines do, or a theater does.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    WordPress has plugins which you can bolt-on to it which will give you the functionality you're after. I can also sort the hosting for you too. Drop me a line, I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    What Matt@BSH really means ... "I'd more than happy to do the work for you, but here's what it will cost ...."

So Matt, how much would it cost to have you do that?
    Just a ballpark number.
    I'm curious what you think.

Remove Ads