Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Protect Wordpress Install during construction, what is the best way?

We are working on a Wordpress website and we want to block all traffic including search engines from accessing it and only allow our web designers to access it. What is the best and easiest way to do this without using Directory Protect as we have heard this breaks the Ajax functionality of the site as referenced here

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2014/...for-wordpress/

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Nothing will access it unless you have a link to it somewhere online.

As soon as you put a link on facebook, or any other website, it will become noticed.

If you have a current domain name URL pointed to your "new site", then remove the domain name settings so it doesn't point there anymore (on the domain name webhost account). Your webhost will provide a temporary domain name that you can use to access your site. Perhaps point the old domain name it to another website that just has a simple "come back later" page. The temporary domain name your webhost gives you will be only known by you and the designers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Nothing will access it unless you have a link to it somewhere online.

As soon as you put a link on facebook, or any other website, it will become noticed.

If you have a current domain name URL pointed to your "new site", then remove the domain name settings so it doesn't point there anymore (on the domain name webhost account). Your webhost will provide a temporary domain name that you can use to access your site. Perhaps point the old domain name it to another website that just has a simple "come back later" page. The temporary domain name your webhost gives you will be only known by you and the designers.
    There are no links anywhere that i know of that would link to it. You mean Google and other search engines dont scour IP's to find websites and then index them? How does a site with no links elsewhere get indexed by Google? Do they have to submit sitemaps?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I don't think they do unless your webhost does something to publish or submit them somehow. Google has access to registrars, so a domain name would be found ... but an IP? I guess I shouldn't be the official answer to this, as I am not totally sure. I'll retract my answer and say "I don't know".

What if you were to do the complete site offline on your own computer/WAMP webhost server with MySQL/PHP installed?

That would definitely be private.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Is the website you're developing going on to the live domain to be built? If so, you can just enable a coming soon mode on the front of the site. I use the Seed Prod coming soon page. You can then discourage search engines from indexing the site in settings area of WordPress Dashboard.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt @ BSH View Post
    Is the website you're developing going on to the live domain to be built? If so, you can just enable a coming soon mode on the front of the site. I use the Seed Prod coming soon page. You can then discourage search engines from indexing the site in settings area of WordPress Dashboard.
    This seems like what we are looking for. Will the basic yearly package be enough for what i want to accomplish. Thanks for the link. The website we are building is already on the domain that will go live yes. How do developers access the frontend of the site without seeing the coming soon page? Do they get a specific url?

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I am not as expert as some of the others but here are a few ways you could do what you want.

1. Totally private way is to build the site on your computer. You need to download a couple of things (either WAMP or XAMPP) to do that but it is pretty much a one click download and there are some YouTube videos that go over this. When you do upload it there are some settings that need to be changed but there are also YouTube Videos that explain that.

2. There are some hosting companies that offer a staging area that is not accessible to to the public but lets you build the site privately until you are ready to go live with it. WPengine is one hosting company with staging.

3. You could build it in a sub directory and as long as there are no links to it no one should access it then when you are ready you just repoint the domain to the sub directory.

I am dealing with the same issue and just about ready to start on a pretty good sized web site that I need to keep private until completed. I am still a toss up on option 1 & 2 but don't want to do 3 since I want to change hosting companies and don't like that the url's would change to the sub directory which could affect search traffic for a while.

Member #
    I would recommend using CSF (Config Server Firewall) if you're using CentOS. Whitelist your IP range and your developer IP ranges. NEXT....after you have whitelisted yourself, blacklist 0.0.0.0/0 (CIDR notation for the entire internet.) The whitelist overrides the blacklist, allowing only those IPs to connect.

Assuming you and your developers don't share your IPs with anyone malicious, you should be safe.

Remove Ads