Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help with web site created in Microsoft Word

Hi, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help someone could give me....
    I have created a web site for my partner (mainly) and myself using Microsoft Word and I am very pleased with the way it is all set out and everything works OK. The ony thing (at the moment!) is updating the index/sidebar.... Every time I add a new page and update the said index I have to update all of the pages and upload them all each time.
    What I would like to be able to do is to just be able to update the index in one spot and have it update all of them!!
    I have tried creating a separate file for the index and putting a link to this file on all pages (which works) but when the index file is updated it is not reflected in the web pages - I have not tried this in the "live" environment.
    I am only anamateur and have very limited experience in html coding.
    Is there a way this can be achieved? The web site is momilika.net
    Thanks for reading this.........

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    When you say you made the site with MS Word, what do you mean? Do you have HTML, and you're using that as the editor? Or do you have it laid out visually and you're using Word to export it?

If you're laying it out in Word and exporting it, what you want can't be done. If you're just using Word as an HTML editor, I might be able to help you.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    oh my ... what a website that is.

It's all Microsoft Word, that's true.

Like Ron said, not much you can do about the horrible web page editing that's Microsoft Word. You could redo the site using Wordpress, that's a possibility for someone who is not so experienced with HTML.

It looks like you're using Hostpapa as your webhost. Even they have their own website builder that would be better than Microsoft. Their builder is already part of the webhost account package. They can also install wordpress for your website and you do it that way too.

You do have a ton of content for your website. It would be a huge task to redo the entire thing, but in the long run, you would be much happier. The other aspect is that you (or anyone you choose) can edit your website online from anywhere if you do your website online. As you are now, you are stuck with using your computer w/MS Word. You have to use that computer only to do your website and that is basically putting your entire site on a piece of hardware that can fail at any time.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I must add that I love the art! I'm confused about the Astronomy though ... it would be so much better if you had two websites separating the art and the astronomy. The art is fascinating for a Minnesota USA boy who never has been to Australia.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply Ron -
    To explain what I do: I create the files in Microsoft word 2010 and save them as .htm files and as such I upload them to the server.
    I have once or twice edited the files in Notepad++ which is in html - an example of the text ......

<head>
    <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>
    <meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 14">
    <meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 14">
    <link rel=File-List href="ArtGallery_files/filelist.xml">
    <link rel=Edit-Time-Data href="ArtGallery_files/editdata.mso">

I am not proficient in html but I can insert lines in the code
    I hope that this answers your question
    Cheers Pat

Member #
    Thank you for your reply "mlseim" - I did look at the Hostpapa builder and also the wordpress and they looked too complicated for me to get my head around and as I had done a previous website in Microsoft word it was much easier for me to stick with what i knew....
    I will however have a look at these again but it may be too much for me to move to a different format....
    Even though I have an IT background, but not in web construction, and also the fact that I will be 68 years old this year I may have to stick to the format that I have been using
    I do all the work on my laptop (which I back up regularly) and it comes with us (my partner and I) when we travel to do our planatery imaging....
    Thanks once again - Pat

Remove Ads