Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Post Embedding an interactive map onto my website

Hi,

I'm looking for help on how to create an interactive world map on my website. The plan is to plot each location I have travelled to on the map. When you click on each pin, I'd like to add further content (location reviews) for my site visitors to explore.

The closest thing to what I'd like to achieve can be found here: https://medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/...abeth-map.aspx

Is this something I can easily implement? How would I best go about implementing something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    They are doing their own Google Map "mashup" using some sort of different backgrounds and markers.

Your project will have two parts:
    1) The map that the user sees and navigates.
    2) The admin part where you will add GPS coordinates and descriptions.

The admin part will require a database and a way to either enter addresses or marker GPS locations. Not everywhere will have an address, so you'll have another mashup to move around a marker and capture the GPS locations.

This guy just uses Google to create a map and embeds it on a website. Not as fancy as the Queen Map, but it doesn't require any programming.

How to Create a Custom Travel Map with Google Maps {New Google My Maps Tutorial} | Kevin & Amanda | Food & Travel Blog

All in all, it will require you to script it all by hand, or you might get lucky and find an existing script.

I made a mashup to handle the marker GPS capture for another application. You move the marker around and click on it capture the GPS location for "sharing". If the marker is moved off the screen, you click on the blue marker icon on the top left of screen to move the marker back into the center of screen. Not very sophisticated, but I use it to text message people GPS locations that don't have specific addresses.

Here is my mashup:
    GPS GOOGLE MASHUP

Most of it can be viewed in the HTML source. The PHP part is to do the marker centering. But that mashup would only be a tiny part of your project.

Remove Ads