Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: An amateur has tried to make a website in raw HTML

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

An amateur has tried to make a website in raw HTML

Hey, guys!
    I've tried to make a website in raw HTML (using only the tools such as Notepad++), but I am not a professional programmer or a web-designer. You can see it here:
    FlatAssembler's Homepage
    (It sleeps every day from 22h to 23h UTC+1.)
    Do you have some ideas on how to improve it that are easy to program?
    Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Your link doesn't work.

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    The link works for me now but your site is "sleeping" so we cannot see it. Try placing your code somewhere we can actually see it such as codepen.

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    I'm really super confused by your website compared to what you say in your post.

Your site is about HTML5, javascripting, flat assembler ... but you then say you are not a programmer or web designer and only know basic HTML.

So is everything on your website someone else's content?

Isn't that "pseudoscience"? You are falsely claiming you don't program, but you really do? What if you put your effort into learning HTML, CSS and PHP? You put a lot of effort into what your wrote on your web site. Subscribe to a webhost that hosts your site 24/7 and be true to what you say.
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 11th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
    delstu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    Everything mlseim said except his last statement. I would not bother with a 24/7 webhost but take it down completely. You don't even have a niche. Your site seems to be about everything you have an interest in - no one cares except possibly your mother and even that much is questionable. Choose a niche you are truly interested in (something you really care about) and stay tightly focused on that.
    Last edited by delstu; Mar 11th, 2018 at 09:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try placing your code somewhere we can actually see it such as codepen.
    I've never heard of Codepen before. I'll look into it.
    So is everything on your website someone else's content?
    No. I do know some HTML, JavaScript and CSS. I am just not a professional web-designer or a programmer (I don't do those things for money), and a professional web-programmer certainly knows more of those things. I also know very little PHP.
    You don't even have a niche.
    Well, you know, I do have some things to write about. Many people, for example, seem to be interested in my alternative interpretation of the Croatian Toponyms:
    Croatian Toponyms

Member #
    Hello, I saw your website. I'd say it's not bad. But design-wise, it has that 90's feel to it. What website host are you using?

The content is good however, but it's not appealing to read due to the background colors.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, the background can be removed by choosing the Style #3 in the bottom right corner (assuming JavaScript is enabled). But to me it seems that, on small screens, the Style #3 is even harder to read than the Style #1 (the default).
    I am using 000webhost.
    What do you mean by saying that it looks as if it was from the 90's?

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    I guess my point is that you learn about HTML, CSS and PHP. You can find an existing HTML5/Responsive template for free. There are hundreds of them that look way better than the one you created. Use an existing template and customize it for your own use. As far as the content itself, you are doing what everyone else on the internet is doing .... voicing your opinion. Nothing wrong with that at all. You'll get believers and doubters just like any other website. I would have to say that my view of the world in Minnesota USA is probably as far from Croatia as can be. I have no clue what happens in Croatia, or where Croatia even is ... I'll have to Google that. Describing what life is like there would be much more interesting to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There are hundreds of them that look way better than the one you created.
    Yes, but the entire point of HTML5 is to allow anyone who is willing to create a website that looks original, right?
    I have no clue what happens in Croatia.
    Well, nothing worth writing about has happened in Croatia for decades.
    The unemployment rate has been staying on around 15%, and the average wages of those who do have a job have been staying on around 5.50$ per hour. It's not as bad as it sounds. The cost of living in Croatia is a hell lot lower than in the US. Here one loaf of bread costs just 0.90$. The only difference from living in the US is I guess that I'm working on a 12-year-old computer that can barely run Windows 7 (512 MB of RAM and a 1 GHz Celeron processor) and that I'm driving a 19-year-old car.
    And, of course, just like in the US, we have politicians, both the left and the right, claiming that they will help us if we elect them. And, even though they have slightly different rhetorics, they all end up implementing the same policies: they just add new regulations that hinder the job growth even more.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads