Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Can you code against images being cached?

I manage at a real estate company where we have a chronic issue with old images loading instead of new images. The problem is discussed succinctly here: https://www.moorecreative.com/Articl...ser-Cache.aspx

My webmaster says this (telling our customers to clear their browser cache) is the only solution to this problem. This seems wrong and out of date to me. Is there not newer more robust coding available to prevent this and ensure the correct image always loads? Why do I never have to tell anyone to clear their cache to see my new Facebook profile pic?

Thanks in advance

Member #
    I have also some issue of a pages that have some images that not being align how to do it..

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Mark,

The reason this probably happens is because someone uploads images to your website using the same filenames as previous images.

The solution is to always use unique filenames for all images. This can be done by the person uploading images and doing the web pages, or dynamically, by the use of PHP (server-side scripting).

You might have a website where that doesn't happen, which is probably because your site is out-dated and people replace images using the same name. They create a new photo, but use the same filename, and then upload it.

So describe more how your site is done ... using hand-made PHP, using WordPress, or a static HTML site?

Also, give me a link to it (it's OK to do that since I need to see it).

NOTE: That article about caching is terrible (and very out-dated). You are correct that the caching issue is all about the website/developer, not the user's browser or computer. Your web designer might not be using the correct methods of rendering pages. Not to demean him/her, but the responsibility for this lies with them, not your customers.
    Last edited by mlseim; Apr 02nd, 2018 at 06:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    @hmedia ... about your post that does not pertain to caching ...

Start a new thread with your problem and give link. This thread is not about aligning images.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I too would like to know more about it.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I need to see the website and know how it works ...
    how the images are getting uploaded.
    how the pages are getting rendered.
    if it's using PHP or not, etc.

And a link to the website.

Remove Ads