Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Help: Website Design related question

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how a website home page that shows two big options leading to two different sections of the website is called?

To give more context, we are trying to build a homepage with two big links to two sections of a restaurant (one casual, one fancy)... they will have different look and feel sections on the website because they target different audience.

A example that kind of look like what we mean is this: Restaurant Le Grill Saint-Georges et LeGrill.ca Express Mont-Tremblant

I am trying more information on best practices and some examples for that kind of page. I just can't find it without the proper name.

Thank you so much!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    There is no name for it.

Depending on how you are doing your site ... by hand, by using WordPress, by using something like Wix or Weebly ?

The main page (index.php) is the first page that gets served to the site visitor. That page will display the choices like you see in your example. Those two sections just link to other scripts (pages). If they click on one of them, a cookie or PHP SESSION will be saved so it will remember which section they are supposed to remain inside. If they leave and come back later, you can decide if they should drop back into one of the sections or display the main page again.

The possibilities are pretty much endless ... so it's hard to answer your question.

Maybe the best word to describe it is "Splash Page" ?

Member #
    yeah I totally agree with you that there are free CMS system that can help you in this manner..

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I have no idea what that would be called either but setting up something like that would be quite easy for either a web designer or you could do it yourself in WordPress.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I have been thinking about your question ever since I posted my last answer. I believe I misunderstood what you were asking and may have the answer to your question. The term you are looking for is "image map".

For example if you are creating a web site in WordPress there are a number of free plugins you can download that allow you to create an image map. So if you have a photo as you do and have those two logos for each of the restaurants shown on the photo the image mapping plugin allows you to more or less draw invisible lines on the photo in either a rectangle, circle or irregular shape and then link that area (the restaurant logo for each restaurant) with a hyperlink making a hot spot that works like a link to send someone to the restaurant page they want to see. Basically you would just create lines that enclosed the pub logo and link it to that page and then create lines that enclose the restaurant logo and link it to that page.

As another example of how this works I have a web site that has a map of the USA. I used an image map to outline each state and clicking on the state someone is from takes them to a page for their state. As I mentioned no one sees the lines on the photo but in this case each state in the map links to a different page.

There are other ways to accomplish the same thing. For example a layered slider could make a link out of each logo. You would basically have the background on one layer and a PNG photo with a transparent background for each restaurant logo set to link to the right page.

It could also be hand coded in HTM if your site is not WordPress and is hand coded.

Remove Ads