Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Database structure

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Database structure

Just gonna copy paste a thread from another site

hi, so new to the forum and new to back end and sql development. currently studying the ciw foundations course. i have a particular project i intend to start work on and at the moment I'm just researching. the site i have in mind is similar to facebook (only on a much smaller scale) so my question is, how is facebooks databases structured.

what happens when a user signs up for the first time, is a MySQL database created specifically for that person with several tables for user info, account settings, statuses and photos?

i am mostly curious about how the facebook status feed works. i imagine that when someone posts a status, the status is sent to a cgi script that takes the posting users status and logs it using sql to a table on each friends personal database. in my limited experience it makes sense, right? but i imagine data replication could be a problem. is there a better more efficient way to make this work?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    I don't think you can compare a shared webhost account (like Godaddy, 1&1. cleverdot, etc) to Facebook.

Facebook has it's own servers. Probably a whole building full of them with teams of people that maintain the hardware and software.

When you subscribe to a shared webhost, you are given a "space" on their server. Sort of like your own directory. You use that space to store files, such as your website. They also provide space on a server to store data (SQL). If we both subscribe to GoDaddy as our webhost, we cannot access each other's database ... but yet they are both on the same server. Likewise, you can't see my website files.

Let's look at this website you are on now, webdesignforums. The webhost WDF uses is GoDaddy. They have an SQL database and PHP to dynamically generate the page your reading right now. We both log-in and we can write these posts. We can upload images. We can private message each other. You could liken it to FaceBook on a very smaller scale. Once you get into millions of users, secure transactions, encryption, etc, you will then get into a whole different world.
    busso likes this.

Remove Ads