Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By turboguy

Thread: Question about taking over a website

Member #

Question Question about taking over a website

Hi there,

I have recently volunteered to take over updating a club's website as the current person can no longer do it. There is no one else who can do it, so I volunteered as I thought I would just be updating the newsletter and very minor announcements etc. I did some of this stuff a very, very long time ago and am VERY, VERY rusty. Let's just call me a newbie.

My question is: If I am taking over a worpress site (I have zero details of it atm), can I just install an ftp program to update particular pages once I get the login details? I will not be redesigning anything etc. The person I am taking over from advised me that they wanted me to install a fully functioning Word Press site on my pc and then they will pass on the details/files. Don't I need the details to actually install anything to begin with? Do I need to install "a fully functioning Word Press site on my pc" just to do some minor updating?

Sorry if this is a very basic question.

Thanks for reading.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I think one of the good parts of WordPress is that it is easy for someone to update without a lot of technical skill. However using an FTP program isn't what you want to do to update it.

Things can change a bit depending on what themes are used and what plugins were used to create the site. Basically you want to log into the site which will take you to the dashboard. The dashboard will be on the left side of your screen. One item on the dashboard will be "pages" Click that and it will give you a list of the pages in the web site. Click the page you want to edit and you will see an option to "edit" click that and make the changes you want. When you are done click the publish button and you are done.

There are lots of tutorials on YouTube.
    insertusername likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    The whole point of Wordpress or any other cms (content management system) is to log in from any computer and make updates to posts or pages, depending on how it is set-up. You can't use FTP because all content is stored in a database, not on web pages ... There are no web pages like you think there are.

Member #
    Thanks turboguy and mlsei, appreciate your replies.
    I was actually just looking at a few youtube tutorials

Essentially I shouldn't have to install anything local like they are requesting me to do then unless I want to and I can just login online and do what needs to be done?

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    That is correct. You don't need to install anything on your computer and can update the site from any computer. You could actually probably even update it from a cell phone but the small screen would make this not the way to do it. It really is pretty simple to do just be sure when you do make changes that you publish them when you are done. If you exit that page without doing that all your changes will be lost.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Not knowing what your club is all about, I will say that you can get wordpress plugins that allow several people to have log-ins. Each person would have permission to edit a particular page, or category. That might take some of the burden off of you, for having more people update content. You can also integrate something like Google Calendar or other plug-ins for doing club event schedules, meetings, etc.

In this age of handheld devices, less people are turning to laptops and desktops to get information. A wordpress theme or platform made for small screen devices might be nice too. Sometimes less is better.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Something you might want to check is to make sure the theme you are using is responsive. Some of the older WordPress themes were not. Now I think they all are but so much traffic is coming from people using cell phones that is important and Google is giving priority to sites that are responsive. You might also want to think about making the site secure if it isn't. There are some places that will get you a security certificate for free and installing one isn't bad. You can also go on Fiverr and find someone to do it for you for a couple of bucks if you are not sure how.

Member #
    Thanks heaps!!
    I got the login details and after I edited a couple things on there, my initial question seems erm...stupid now lol

I will be the only one with the login, no one was interested at all in doing it and the person doing it can no longer physically do it.

The current theme, will be left as is and seems to work well on a mobile phone...so far.
    I won't be doing much, they just want someone to add the monthly newsletter to the site, a couple life members` names and a couple other minor things lol...exciting stuff

Thanks, I'll have a look into the security of it, apparently the last time it was hacked was over 12 months ago, they mucked around with the images at the top of the page or something.

Thanks very much for your helpful replies, I really appreciate it!

Remove Ads