Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Designing a membership area on my website

So here's my situation. I hired a guy to build me a WordPress website for my home inspection business. One of the things I needed on my site was the ability to have customers log in to a secure area to view/download a copy of their inspection report and copies of the pictures taken during the inspection.
    So far this guy has created the log in area. But the any pictures that are uploaded have to be downloaded before they can be viewed. I want to have the pictures thumbnailed so they can be seen before opening. Similar to what you have on Facebook. I called in a gallery view, but I'm not sure if that's the right term. In any case, he's telling me that he doesn't know if this can be done. So I'm here to solve this problem for him so I can get this website finished.
    What I need is something like a link to a "how to", or some sort of guidance I can give this guy so he can do his job. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    There are wordpress plugins that allow certain logins to view certain pages. It sounds like you might have that part.

So now, you need to upload images into the gallery and assign them to certain pages ... the pages that the people can view. I'm not sure about that part. If there is a plugin that will add the feature to assign photos to a page I'm not sure where to find it. I have to think it does exist and I'll let you know if I see it anywhere.

So, if you want to stop reading this post and use wordpress, you should trust what your developer is doing. Questioning is OK. Assisting him by finding other ideas is great too.

You can buy a premium wordpress theme/plugin that your web guy installs and customizes for you:
    https://wp-client.com/

That one is about $60 or $120 if you want texting and other features. One time payment.

This one has wordpress or non-wordpress version available:
    https://themeforest.net/item/apartme...4585?s_rank=13

I think it could be made into something you could use.

If you want to hear my rant and argument for not using wordpress .... continue on ....

I would not have used WordPress for this. I would have used my own custom made site with PHP/PDO(SQL) and a responsive template. But that's just me. I like wordpress and find it great for certain websites. In your case, I believe wordpress is the wrong platform for your application ... it's overkill and hard to work with.

Doing it myself, I would have an admin login where I could create a PIN number for a client. I would upload images, PDF files, paper scans, notes, etc into a database and assign them to a PIN number. The clients could visit the site and enter the PIN number to view their "inspection package". The whole thing could be presented to them as a PDF file by using PHP or they can just use a slideshow on the website to view the photos.

The reason for not using WordPress is that your site is designed for a specific application. Your application is basically a repository for uploading client information and giving them access to only their information. The magic is giving them an option to make their own paper printout (inspection report) using PDF.

The other problem with WordPress is you (the admin) has to create the members login (username/password), upload the photos and files, and assign them to the correct pages. If you've ever used wordpress, you'll know how much button clicking and dashboard/admin work it takes to do that. If you have 10 clients being done at the same time, that will be very time consuming.

With a PIN method, it's more simple. You create a random PIN number and anything you upload, you assign to that PIN. Any time the clients wants to see information, they only have to enter the PIN number to view all of their files. If they forget their PIN, they can have it messaged to their smartphone or emailed to them. You as the admin can upload files and photos to any PIN, even while working with 10 clients. You can also delete files and move them to other PIN numbers. It's a relatively easy database function.
    Last edited by mlseim; Apr 30th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I would not have used WordPress for this. I would have used my own custom made site with PHP/PDO(SQL) and a responsive template. But that's just me. I like wordpress and find it great for certain websites. In your case, I believe wordpress is the wrong platform for your application ... it's overkill and hard to work with.

Doing it myself, I would have an admin login where I could create a PIN number for a client. I would upload images, PDF files, paper scans, notes, etc into a database and assign them to a PIN number. The clients could visit the site and enter the PIN number to view their "inspection package". The whole thing could be presented to them as a PDF file by using PHP or they can just use a slideshow on the website to view the photos.

The reason for not using WordPress is that your site is designed for a specific application. Your application is basically a repository for uploading client information and giving them access to only their information. The magic is giving them an option to make their own paper printout (inspection report) using PDF.

The other problem with WordPress is you (the admin) has to create the members login (username/password), upload the photos and files, and assign them to the correct pages. If you've ever used wordpress, you'll know how much button clicking and dashboard/admin work it takes to do that. If you have 10 clients being done at the same time, that will be very time consuming.

With a PIN method, it's more simple. You create a random PIN number and anything you upload, you assign to that PIN. Any time the clients wants to see information, they only have to enter the PIN number to view all of their files. If they forget their PIN, they can have it messaged to their smartphone or emailed to them. You as the admin can upload files and photos to any PIN, even while working with 10 clients. You can also delete files and move them to other PIN numbers. It's a relatively easy database function.
    This sounds exactly like I am looking for. I didn't exactly pick WordPress. I have my domain hosted with BlueHost.com and that was the automatic set up for me to make my own website, so I assumed that was what I had to use. Am I able to use any coding for my website if I'm hosting with BlueHost?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    With their shared webhosting ... example the "plus package", you can make a website from scratch, use their page build tools, or have them install wordpress for you, except for the theme you wish to use. I was trying to find out specific details like, PHP, SQL databases, etc. They don't have that prominently displayed on their site, but I'm assuming it's like any other webhosting company.

If you look around the internet, where there any website designs that you really like? Sort of the look and layout of what you think your site should compare to?

Member #
    Not really that I found.
    My guy said he thinks he found a way so we'll see what he comes up with. It sounds like building from scratch is a better option for the future though. That will definitely be something I upgrade to in a year or so.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I don't really build websites as a whole, but I do freelance programming. Maybe in the future I could do the back-end server scripting (PHP/PDO) and someone else can do the site design/layout. Don't post here, but you can private message me. I'm sort of curious what he is charging you.

My daughter bought a house and I watched the inspector work. He took photos with his phone and later used software he had on his PC. Transferred photos from phone to laptop. He then typed notes into the laptop. In the end, he somehow uploaded everything to his company's online server where we were later able to download our "inspection report".

It struck me that he used software on a laptop instead of just sending photos directly to an online server. There is a service called Twilio. It's not free, but it could save a ton of time. Twilio assigns you a phone number. As you take photos on your phone, you can text them to that number just like you text to a person. You text a photo with text (comments), and you do this while doing an inspection. The photos and text are stored on the Twilio cloud. When you get back to your place of business, a PHP script on your website will grab all of the photos and messages from Twilio. Now you have them all on a website to do whatever you want with the information. Twilio charges a fee for each SMS message received and I suppose they have a fee for online cloud storage. You can go to their website and inquire about monthly/yearly costs.

I just mention this because smartphones are used for everything, and everyone has one. Twilio offers a way to text message / photos to a server instead of a person. That's a useful service. Another method is you can email photos, but then you have to open emails, detach them, and upload to your website. That method is free, but takes a lot of time for many photos. There is no method on a smartphone to directly send photos to a website (not that I know of).

Something to think about in the future.

EDIT, and with your wordpress site, you will need to get your photos to a computer/browser to upload them to the wordpress media library. Log into wordpress, go to the media library. Select the photos, upload them, and then assign them to a page for a particular client. That's a lot of work ... you'll see.
    Last edited by mlseim; May 01st, 2018 at 12:02 PM.

Remove Ads