Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Themes and Builder Tools - Advice on this Website

Hi,

I am trying to clean up a website that is using a nicely built custom theme that was originally an Elegant Theme, but heavily customized. The next web designer updated that theme by adding responsive code and it looks like he added Divi Builder. The problem is the website now needs to be updated to the wide format. Working with the original theme is going to be too time consuming. So the idea is to put in a new theme and start fresh.

The question I am trying to figure out is, what to use? I started building sites with Avada a few years ago and really like the Fusion builder, but to stay consistent I was going to use Divi Theme for this website because it seems impressive. To learn Divi, I installed it on a clean new site and built the first page with one paragraph of text, and 4 small images. That's it. I ran a speed test and was shocked to say that little bit took 4.2 seconds to load. That's really slow. I tested it against an Avada theme page on the same exact server, which is fully packed with revolution slider, lots of images and the site is 2.2 seconds. This rules out the server being an issue, it is straight comparison.

I realize there are things you can do to speed up a site but the Avada is straight out of the box, not one thing to speed it up yet it runs circles around Divi. I am now considering Elementor and even Beaver Builder. My goal is to get this website set up with something that is still going to have a long life, not be outdated in a few years.

So if you had a choice of new Theme, and start fresh, keeping in mind speed, functionality as well as longevity, what system would you use?

Thanks,
    ElfTech

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    You can take these plugins with just about any theme and make it look just about anyway you want it to look and react, including animations, parallax images, full page stretched images, etc. Check out their themes also. We have 100's of sites built with their themes, especially the Vantage theme and their Site Pack themes. We also use a lot of Shaped Pixel's themes. We've not used the Divi or Avada themes in awhile now. Had the same problems you're having with them.

These are standard plugins we install on every site. Use a slider plugin of your choosing. If you install these widgets, and in the dashboard, go to Siteorigin Widgets and activate the ones you want to use. You'll be surprised at everything you see available to you. They also have probably the best support in the industry especially if you go premium with them.

Good Luck

Page Builder by SiteOrigin

SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle

Siteorigin Widgets by Codelights (good animations) (Flapper)

Ultimate Addons for SiteOrigin

Livemesh SiteOrigin Widgets

Widgets for SiteOrigin

Black Studio TinyMCE Widget (Visual Editor)

Divider

Spacer

Title Remover

https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/siteorigin/

http://siteorigin.com

https://www.shapedpixels.com/

https://wordpress.org/themes/author/shaped-pixels/
    Last edited by bleau canon; May 07th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Thanks so much for the great information and links, I am going through them now. My goal is to get in a theme / builder that can be changed in the future without it being a nightmare. Technology and the overall design of a website is like a moving target, they can easily have a dated look in a couple of years and not be as appealing.

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ElfTech View Post
    Thanks so much for the great information and links, I am going through them now. My goal is to get in a theme / builder that can be changed in the future without it being a nightmare. Technology and the overall design of a website is like a moving target, they can easily have a dated look in a couple of years and not be as appealing.
    You're welcome.

Siteorign and Shaped Pixels both keep their plugins and themes updated on a regular basis.
    Never had any nightmares nor problems with either, and we've been using both for years.

Siteorigin's widgets are a staple on all of our Wordpress sites. They also have some really nice pre layouts inside their Page Builder that are complete websites. Be sure to watch their videos.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Remove Ads