Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnails

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Thumbnails

I have about 3,000+ images that I need to create thumbnails for. Is there an easy way to do this? I have a very old version of PhotoShop if that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have about 3,000+ images that I need to create thumbnails for. Is there an easy way to do this? I have a very old version of PhotoShop if that helps.
    You can do this in Photoshop, lots of tutorials on youtube.

You didn't specify the version of PS you have but, you can download Photoshop CS2 for free. The Adobe serial number is on the download page.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3...oshop-cs2.html
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Glenn,
    Are all of your full-size photos on your website in a directory?
    If so, a PHP script could do them all for you.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    mlseim, Yes, That's what I'd like to do.

Thanks bleau, I've got that now!

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Glenn, what filetype are they (.jpg, .png, etc), what is the typical size of each in KB or MB, and as you said, you have them all in one directory on your website.

Also, what size should the thumbnails be in pixels (width, height)?
    Remember that they are rectangular and some might be portrait and some might be landscape, or all they all the same orientation?

Finally, I want to add this:
    You want them all converted to thumbnails, but I would keep the full size images the way they are and save the thumbnail versions in a separate directory, You could have multiple directories of them in different sizes. Now about the reason for creating thumbnails. Are you doing this only to display them on a web page? PHP can render a page of thumbnails from the full size images only when someone views the page. By that I mean there are no physical copies of them as thumbnails. PHP dynamically renders them as thumbnails when they are displayed on a web page. Or perhaps you want all of those thumbnails to be downloaded on your PC for some other purpose? The point I'm getting to is you may not need to create physical thumbnails.
    Last edited by mlseim; May 04th, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    They are jpg anwhere from 3 to 8 mb. Thumbnails should be about 100 px wide.

I have a web page where I started several years ago saving pictures of my wife and and myself. It's been years since I have done anything with it but I'm putting all of our pictures on there to get caught up.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    So now you'll see how an idea like this can escalate into a huge deal ....
    Let's pretend now you have your directory of 3000 full-size photos, and you've created a 2nd directory of 3000 thumbnails. How will it all be displayed? Will it be one web page with 3000 thumbs and you click on one to view the full-size? Or will it be a javascript "lightbox" photo display? Or a gallery of sliders? What about categorizing them and organizing them? Will you now need to put them in some organized fashion? Maybe the dates they were taken are important. Maybe the locations are important. So now you'll need a database of some kind?

It's just like this book:
    https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Give-M...40_&dpSrc=srch

If a hungry little mouse shows up on your doorstep, you might want to give him a cookie. And if you give him a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk. He'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache, and then he'll ask for a pair of scissors to give himself a trim.....

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's at glennandpenny.com
    I'm going to rework it after I get the images ready but still be similar.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Most people have high speed internet, or at least a medium DSL connection.
    I see no problem with how you have it now. A whole page of reduced size photos loaded quickly for me, even though they are full size photos rendered in a smaller resize. If they were thumbs the page would load even faster, but who is going to be viewing the photos? family, friends?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Those are 100px images.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads