Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Optimal resolutions and sizes for cross platform web design?

Hi guys, I am not a professional web designer but I am designing my own website for a record label, which will then be implemented by a professional.

I seek information regarding what is the best resolution to use for my website so that it has the best user experience accross all current platforms. I've begun with a 16:9 ratio (4000x3000 pixels).

I'm also curious as to what the best header size should be in terms of scale, relative to the overall size of the website. My header would include my logo and business name.

Furthermore, provided I make the design of the website easily visible in the largest size required, once it is scaled down for mobile devices and smaller screens will it affect the readability of my content? Is it necessary or merely advised to use vectors - does HTML even maintain vector graphics?

Lastly, is there an advisable filesize limit to the background image of my website?

Thanks for your assistance here guys, much appreciated!!

Member #
    Scaling a design usually isnt depicted as a set resolution because it can be universally valued by a css percentage. If you need a simple but powerful front end design program I will give you one free. Also vector graphics are nothing more then images just like anything else you see on any website. So yes vector graphics will work in any html website.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Scaling?? Not sure what your actually talking about. But in hopes of helping you : You're website should look good no matter what size the device it's being viewed on. This is done with proper use of CSS3 and HTML5. Do a little reading into Responsive Web Design if you haven't already. The simplest way to get you in the right direction is to use a floating design with a width and margins set with percentages not pixels for block level elements and font sizes set with em. I have seen sometimes fonts set with pixel or percentage look "OK". Using point for your font doesn't automatically scale with the viewport of the device, so stay clear of that.

IMHO background images of any size just look to Web1.0ish for me. Backgrounds set with CSS3 gradients look a lot fresher/crisp. Look into using a CMS. There are tons of ready made Templates you can use for free.

Remove Ads