Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Responsive web design

Member #

Responsive web design

Hello,

First - set the stage - I am not a web designer. Looking for some direction on how to work with my current designer.

Website is done and we're happy with it. One issue that's lingering though.

When I view the site on my laptop, images are sized correctly. I can change the size of my window and all resizes as it should. Designer and developer both sent me screen shots where they see images resizing according to their monitor size. Problems arise when we're viewing the site via a large monitor that is connected to a laptop via a docking station or HDMI cable. The images are not resizing and are really zoomed in. I've tested it on several computers at our company. We're all coming with the same results. Looks great on laptop, ridiculous when docked. If we test the same way with other website, they respond as they should regardless of what we're viewing it from. 90% of our target audience uses a docking station or HDMI connect so it has to be resolved.

Any direction on why this is? I am hearing from developer that I need to reach out to our IT department (that's me). But I am seeing this as a developer problem since we've tested with other website and are not having the issue. Not looking to hang her....we have a great working relationship. But hoping there's something that she's missing that we can uncover.

Website is factor8.com. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    I would try using CSS to define a "maximum width" for images, or your div container (however you have things defined).
    They can shrink all they want, but will stop growing at a defined size.

You can add something like this to a CSS file (example, your website might have "style.css") That's a common name used for .css files.

img {
    max-width:800px;
    }

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_dim_max-width.asp
    matthewjohn938 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    They can shrink all they want, but will stop growing at a defined size.

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_dim_max-width.asp
    That sounds like the problem to me. Your image is to small for the display. If your image is 400px x 400px, that's as larger as it's going to get. Anything after that your display is just going to zoom in the picture.

Use a Graphics (Gimp, Photoshop...)program to resize the image to a larger size then create a separate style sheet and load that css file via you meta tag for x-large resolutions. You'll have a few different images of the same thing, just different sizes. Another alternative is to use something like php and imagemagic and let the php library resize the image for you but you'll have to have that enable in your server side code. It's easier to just have multiple images of different sizes.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.
    John P
    matthewjohn938 likes this.

Member #
    A good responsive site should be compatible with all kind of devices and browsers.

Member #
    Responsive web design makes your web page look good on all devices.

Responsive web design uses only HTML and CSS.

Responsive web design is not a program or a JavaScript.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Responsive web design refers to the design that helps websites to adapt themselves in various portable devices like mobiles and tablets to access them. This helps to generate more traffic from various devices and build your search engine popularity.

Member #
    Hey, there are plenty of ways to make it better. It depends on whether you are in web design or no. If you are, that you should check the web, ask some ppl on popular forums, eventually you will come up with something. If no, ask professionals, like https://gapsystudio.com/service/illustration/ to male it better, trust me, they will.
    Last edited by Ssekidde; Jul 20th, 2018 at 05:52 AM.

Member #
    Responsive website design matter more because it is considered as one of the top ranking signal by google. If you want your website to generate serious leads then it should be responsive and ease to access for people in all the platforms.

Member #
    Responsive website design development is very important because, it will soon become the first ranking signal for Google. An update has rolled out about Mobile First indexing, so businesses are suggested to have mobile site or mobile friendly sites.

Member #
    Perfectly responsive web design makes its look best on all the devices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads