Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Website design tool for club

Hi all! This is my first post.

I belong to a robotics club. We already have a Website up:

Chibots

This site is built on top of Drupal; however, members that took care of it left the club years ago. For this reason we are thinking about redoing the Website. I have been looking at alternative. Obviously, Drupal is one of them, but we want to be sure that the tool that we use is a good fit for us and we are not worried about building it from scratch.

I've looked into various alternatives, such as Wordpress and Joomla. Since Wix seems to have ads all over the place, I've looked into thi option too, but it does not convince me (just an feeling).

We want our new Website to have certain characteristics:

• Home page should display a rotating banner with caption describing the last 5 items that were added, such as events or blog posts.
    • Home page should display a list of upcoming events
    • On theh ome page, below the rotating banner and upcoming events, a list of blog posts should appear
    • Website should allow blog posts that can be classified by category and date
    • Website should allow adding events with description and date (and an image, but optional)
    • User should be able to register on the site
    • Once registered, users should be able to add content: videos, photos, events and blog posts (I see a blog post as a news item)
    • Instead of keeping video and photos on the club server, we should be able to use YouTube and Flickr (or equivalent to these), so that a user can add a video or videos and photos and group them in "albums" or equivalent
    • The website should have all videos and photos indexed and classified. This can be done manually or automatically as multimedia content is added

I believe that this is all. Discussion is ongoing.

Given these ideas, which tool is a good fit? Which ones should we discard?

If I left out any information that is needed, ask and I'll be happy to respond. Thanks! Salvador

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Really sounds like you should look into getting this done by a professional web design firm because your list of wants is pretty extensive. You could install a bunch of plugins for Wordpress but honestly I think that would turn into a real headache for you. Do a search for Web Designers in your area. Probable tons that build custom Wordpress/(Whatever: really doesn't matter, IMHO) sites. Talk and get some quotes and you'll find out that it really isn't that expensive. Plus, they can get you a Responsive Website much much faster.

Good Luck!

John P.

Member #

Tools to build club Website

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. We are looking into having a third party build our Website, but our funds are low, since we are just a bunch of people who like robotics and attend various technology events to demo our 'bots. Salvador

Quote Originally Posted by lulzicon View Post
    Really sounds like you should look into getting this done by a professional web design firm because your list of wants is pretty extensive. You could install a bunch of plugins for Wordpress but honestly I think that would turn into a real headache for you. Do a search for Web Designers in your area. Probable tons that build custom Wordpress/(Whatever: really doesn't matter, IMHO) sites. Talk and get some quotes and you'll find out that it really isn't that expensive. Plus, they can get you a Responsive Website much much faster.

Good Luck!

John P.

Member #
    Great idea that you want your website with these characteristics you have mentioned. In website designing and developing the most important thing is having some ideas about what to do...... and It is very nice that you have. So you need to use the digital online tutorials and tools available.
    And with this you will get what you really want to do.

Matthew

Remove Ads