Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Device Width

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Device Width

I noticed that my reworked site didn't look right on my cell. I added a meta to correct this but it made it worse. What else can I do?

Here's the meta tag I added:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've changed it to:

<meta name = "viewport" content = "width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

Still didn't do anything.

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    With a "responsive" web page template, that is designed to be resized for various devices, there are usually several screen size setpoints that change the CSS. Primarily, the menu will disappear and be replaced by the "hamburger" icon. The button that has 3 lines that looks like a hamburger. That is the menu button everyone looks for when displaying the menu on their small devices.

You're hammering away at making an old style web page and CSS comply to various screen sizes. Sort of tough to do ... especially when there are so many free "responsive" HTML templates you can use that already have the CSS screen size setpoints programmed.

The other aspect of making sites for smartphones is whether or not you need that much information. People don't normally browse an entire website on their smartphones. They want simple, quick information: address, location, phone numbers, reservation information, parking, etc. They don't really care about browsing and reading the story of your honeymoon, unless you provide explicit details (if you know what I mean)

With a responsive CSS design, you blank-out all of the <div> sections that a mobile person won't wish to read. Those changes might happen when the screen size hits an ipad mini size, or when it hits a typical smart phone screen size.

Remove Ads