Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Bear with me here

So my dad has enlisted me in helping him create a website for his small business, I guess because I look vaguely tech-savvy. Problem is I have no clue where to start.

Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic. I guess I have some ideas, but there's so many competing opinions and web design companies out there that trying to find out what's the most bang for your buck is nigh-impossible. However, here's the gist of what I need:

-My father is not opposed to spending a reasonable amount of money
    -He wants a custom domain name, he assured me that it didn't matter which, but I don't want him to be caught dead with a .net or something, so I figure something like .com or .ca is adequate
    -He wants to set up an email with said domain name

Now all I really need are recommendations for companies, whether its G Suite or Zoho, or wix or Squarespace or whatever, I just need to be able to cut through all the BS and narrow down what's best.

Bear in mind I'm not the best with this stuff, so in terms of web design something intuitive and user-friendly would be fantastic thank you.

Also neither me nor anyone I know has any knowledge of coding.

.....this isn't asking too much is it?

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Did you ever find a solution to your webhosting?

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Recommendations depend largely on what you need. Wix or Weebly might be sufficient if all he wants is a business card site.
    What is your dad's business?
    Does he have a specialty he would like to promote?
    What does he want a website to do for him?

Once you answer those questions we will be a bit closer to understanding what to recommend, or other questions to ask.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    watch youtube videos. There are thousands of videos about almost every topic with website design and email setup, etc.

As for domain name TLD, it doesn't matter. For SEO purposes, they all rank the same. --> .IO actually rank faster since they are premium domains and get a SEO boost.

I like Wordpress since its so adaptable and is the most common content management system in use today.
    Last edited by muuwebdesign; Sep 16th, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Muu Web Design | Life is awesome!

Remove Ads