Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Beginner Question and Wix

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is not the place to ask this.

A family friend asked me to create a site for them,with little/no experience I said sure.

They had had a design agency start work on a site but stopped them once they realized how expensive it would be, as such they have a placeholder site with them saying 'coming soon'.

Now I have completed the site separately using Wix (I know, I know).

My problem lies in linking the domain that is held by the design agency.

Honestly, I am not even sure how to proceed. The design agency (who I have undercut) are hosting the site and the URL is the correct one (company name).

Am I simply going to have to reach out to the design firm and ask for the permissions? Am I screwed if they say no? What if they don't cooperate?

Any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    The Design Agency is hosting two different accounts. The website/webhost account, and the domain name hosting account.

You should tell them that you no longer need the webhost account and that can "expire". But, you still need the domain name account and you wish to keep it hosted by them. Tell them that in the future, you may be opening a new account ... make up something. Be nice and cordial about it.

You will also ask them how 'up-to-date' the domain name hosting account is. It's possible you have to resubscribe for another term (1 to 5 years). That should be the subscription for the domain name account, not the webhost account. Normally, domain hosting is anywhere from $12 to $25 per year, depending on who is hosting it.

On the WIX site, you need to find out what the DNS (Domain Name Server) names are for your friend's WIX website. WIX can tell you that. You also tell WIX what the domain name is (sometimes the host needs to know, other times not). Now, with the DNS on hand, call back the design agency and either have them program the DNS that points to WIX, or perhaps your friend already has a way to log-in. If you call them, they should be able to do it. Thank them politely and again mention that another client of yours may be calling them. You can shower them with disappointment that your client insists on using WIX and you tried to talk them out of it, but you couldn't. You really like the design company, and you tell them that.

If they refuse:
    Now you are in a different situation. In most cases the domain host must release the domain name back to the "owner". Some webhosts have the clients sign something that says they (the webhost) actually owns the domain name. Still, if they don't want to host the domain name, they need to give you a "security key" that allows another domain host to take control of it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    The Design Agency is hosting two different accounts. The website/webhost account, and the domain name hosting account.

If they refuse:
    Now you are in a different situation. In most cases the domain host must release the domain name back to the "owner .
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

What do you think the best go from now is? Try with the design agency and if they don't help either register a new domain and ask them to take it down?

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Next step: Call the design agency.

You can't register the same domain name because it's already taken and registered (by your client).

The design agency will need to continue to host it, and you use it from there, or they will need to "release it" with a release key that they provide so you can have another domain host take control. If they refuse to do either, you will have to think of a new domain name (not yet used) and register it. I assume WIX is also a domain registrar?

Remove Ads