Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WordPress and GoDaddy

Member #

WordPress and GoDaddy

Hi,

I recently commenced a trial with GoDaddy and then with Wordpress. I am in different stages with each. I find GoDaddys webbuilder relatively easy to use but WordPress’s version much more difficult. However with GoDaddy the monetising and payment options are inadequate.

Will Wordpress be any better or will there be pitfalls?

I was thinking of migrating my Godaddy site to WordPress.

Thanks for advice.

Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    With any webhost such as GoDaddy or HostGator, they have a thing on your website account control panel where they will install WordPress into your website automatically. So your GoDaddy website is actually a real WordPress site that you have total control over. So you won't use GoDaddy's web builder, but WordPress instead. And you won't be hosted by "wordpress", but your own actual real shared webhost account with GoDaddy.

With WordPress, you can use any plugins available or a Woo-Commerce Wordpress theme.

I'm not sure what you mean by "migrating my GoDaddy site to wordpress", but that is not possible.

You will want to use wordpress on your GoDaddy webhost account.

EDIT: And to clarify, a person can go to wordpress.com and create a free wordpress site, but it's hosted by wordpress. You can also install wordpress on any webhost (like GoDaddy). That wordpress is yours to do whatever you want. There is no connection or relationship between "Wordpress.com" and "GoDaddy".

Depending on what you are selling, you may also want to consider square.com as your webhost using square site builder. Square does all of the monetizing for you ... in one cohesive package.

https://www.squarespace.com/
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 14th, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Listlad likes this.

Member #
    Okay. I will take a look at Square.

I will be selling information. Lots of it. On a pay per view and subscription type footing. Or at least that is the plan.

I am having a lot of difficulty setting a website up in Wordpress. I have found GoDaddys option easier even though it seems to be less flexible. My intention has been to take the website I have developed using GoDaddy and plonk it into Wordpress. Then proceed from there. I don’t know if that is possible though...

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    There are actually two versions of Wordpress. One is based at WordPress.com and the other at WordPress.org. I highly recommend the one at WordPress.org over the other. The one at WordPress.org is the one you can install right from your GoDaddy control panel. It is a one click install and easy to do.

WooCommerce is the shopping cart most seem to use with WordPress and the comments I hear about it are fairly good. People seem to like it but I have never tried it personally.

I have used a bunch of hosting companies including GoDaddy where I have a number of WordPress sites hosted but one hosting company that seems to be really outstanding is SiteGround. They tend to specialize in WordPress and I have been really amazed at how good they are but GoDaddy or most any host is fine.
    Listlad likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I would be very surprised if you can take the website you created on GoDaddy's web site builder and plonk it into WordPress.
    Listlad likes this.

Member #
    I see. So outside of GoDaddy I would lose the template style I had created using GoDaddy and would have to start again?

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I think any option you would have except staying with the GoDaddy's website builder would require you to start over. Of course you can copy the text and use the same photos (assuming you are not using stock photos and get a new web site up pretty quickly.
    Listlad likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Here is a plus for WordPress you might want to think about. Lets say you build your site using WordPress and use GoDaddy for the hosting company. You use the free 2017 theme for your site. Down the road they double the price and you are not happy with GoDaddy and want to try SiteGround. There is a plugin that will move the site for you easily and you could change hosting companies in minutes. You don't like SiteGround and decide to change to SquareSpace again it only takes a few minutes. So there you are happy with Square Space but you happen to see the newest theme which is 2019 and you think, wow what a cool theme. I wish I had created my site using that theme. Again changing to the 2019 theme (which doesn't really exist yet) takes only a few minutes.

Member #
    Thanks guys. I have been designing a site with both Wordpress and Square Space, so I now have 3 designs on the go including the Godaddy.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    well IMO Godaddy is about quantity, WordPress is about full functionality.

I dont really like godaddy that much, there service seriously lacks in quality. If they didnt have Auction Domains, I would prob never use any of their services.

If you want the full payment options I would go with WordPress.

Watch Some videos on wordpress from youtube. You can learn tons if info there.
    Listlad likes this.
    Muu Web Design | Life is awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads