Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Large websites' home page automation

Hello all,

I have basic knowledge of web designing.

One question that troubles me a lot is how large websites such as news portals manipulate their home page. There are of course thousands of these, but as an example please look at cnn.com:

There are posts with large preview image, others with smaller one, some posts are plain text links. So, how it is decided which post goes where? Is it done manually or through an algorithm? Are there any tips that make this kind of work easier and faster?

Thank you in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I dont work at CNN bu I would imagine that usually when they create hundreds (possibly thousands) of stories a month they start to know what will generate the most interest and clicks/viewership and their front page space is based on that. Front page real estate on a place like CNN, Fox, Msnbc, yahoo is super valuable so they want the best stories and ones that will be huge controversy right there on the front page.

If it doesnt generate lots of veiwership they will cut and replace it with another story very fast.

They most likely have their own software for editing and the layout of their website that switches this or an entire team dedicated to the website.
    Muu Web Design | Life is awesome!

Member #
    Thank you for your answer.

I can see it's more complicated than i imagined. So that means an individual couldn't have a website like this working properly? Because, let me tell you this:

Almpost all templates for WP have a basic structure that looks like this. There is a homepage, maybe a blog section and then the separate posts' pages. But when a template like this gets up and running, everytime a new article is posted the home page must be somehow updated automatically. An environment post should go in a relative column or section, then a food post to some other section, etc.... It's not practical and/or easy to manually edit the home page every single day :/ So i was hoping there is an easier way.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    they most likely manually edit it. CNN makes millions per month has tens of millions of viewers, they would NOT leave it alone by chance otherwise they would be losing money and prime viewership
    Muu Web Design | Life is awesome!

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDIS View Post
    I have basic knowledge of web designing.
    Why are you asking? Are you wanting to create something similar? A basic knowledge is not enough to try a project like this. Not much can be added to this discussion without more information.

Remove Ads