Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Complete website setup novice

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    You would stop paying GoDaddy for hosting. There are two things you have to pay for. One is the domain name which typically runs about 15 bucks a year. The other thing you pay for is the hosting but you only need and can only use one host at a time so if you switched from Godaddy to Wordpress.com you would stop paying for hosting at GoDaddy.

The free themes that are available don't typically have advertising other than at the bottom of the page they may "ask" you to keep the notice of who designed the theme.

You asked about page builder plugins. I would recommend "page builder by site origin". One big advantage it has other than being easy to work with and quite good is that it is free. There are a few that may offer a bit more but they come at a price Beaver Builder is also pretty good but it isn't free. Site origin who makes the page builder I recommend also created the vantage theme I recommended earlier and the page builder comes packaged with the free theme.

If you end up buying a theme keep in mind it is a one time cost. Or at least one time unless you decide to change down the road when the theme gets old.
    esc4p3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah ok, you only pay one host at a time. So conversely, if I stick with GoDaddy for hosting as it is now and they host a brand new Wordpress written site, I only pay them. Albeit I might have to pay a bit more for hosting depending what the association pay for now?

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Any theme you pay for is a one-time cost ... $10 - $60 USD normally.

I just mentioned GoDaddy because it seems like that is where your current site is hosted. I know that GoDaddy is hosting your domain name, which may or may not be the same host as the website itself.

I would still go with a shared webhost other than wordpress itself ... but use wordpress on the webhost you choose.

Wordpress used to just be open source "software" but they decided to host sites as well ... not as cheap as other webhosts though. Because it is open-sourced, you can use it for free on any webhost. The webhost will install it for you and it becomes the framework for your website. Likewise, you can choose to use the webhost's "web builder", or create your own site from scratch.

You only need to use your browser to update your website. You can access your site account and wordpress dashboard from anywhere in the world. If you need help, you can give anyone a login. Just trust the person who is helping you.

I mention wordpress over a custom do-it-yourself HTML5 template because even though it will take some time to learn wordpress, it is still faster than becoming a web developer and learning PHP, SQL,javascripting,AJAX,HTML5,CSS, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    mlseim did a great job of explaining this. One thing to keep in mind is that if you were to use the hosting companies website builder program that could make it difficult to change hosting companies if you ever wanted to. With WordPress.org it is very easy to move hosting companies.

The information I get is that 27% of all web sites are created using WordPress. It is popular because it is simple to update and make changes without knowing any HTML or CSS. If you look at the review section on this forum you will see that many sites created by professionals are WordPress based. Sometimes they get slammed for this if they haven't made it their own but it is probably the best format for a novice to use at this time.

Since it is a one time charge it is probably better to use a premium theme but the extra features you get for the money are most often available as a free plug in for WordPress. I have used both free and paid themes and they all turn out well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks again. I still need to catch up with the current webmaster to check which host he uses. Assuming it is GoDaddy hosting then I will go with the suggestion of setting up a 2nd webhost account and use WordPress to build the site. I'll properly check out some of the template links you shared too, some of them look to be what I need. I'm looking forward to getting started and once I do I'll almost certainly be back when I get stuck!

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    When you decide on a Template there are typically some YouTube tutorials that use most of the popular templates that may help you as well. Some less popular templates may not have that but there are tons of tutorials that will let you build the site fairly easily.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Depending on when your current webhost account expires, even if you set up a new one for the new site, it will overlap for a few months ... no big deal. I still think it is easiest to start fresh with a new account if you wish your existing website to remain online. That way, you don't affect the current site at all.

Any wp theme you decide, will come with all of the "demo" content, just like the online demo. You will of course be changing the graphics, banners, background, content, etc. You can also control what appears on all of the pages. The demos show all of the features, but you may not want or need all of them. You also have control over fonts, colors, plugins, and misc. things. I don't ever use the wordpress comments feature. It's too hard to deal with spammers. So, a plugin for "members only" would be best. Only your members can converse and make comments.

A lot of online help for wp, and of course we can help too.
    esc4p3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    I should also mention (if you do go with a webhost w/wordpress installed), that when wordpress is installed, it may default to a sub-directory on your website. You don't want wordpress in a sub-directory, so either have it installed in the main directory (if you have the webhost do it), or make sure the directory is a plain / forward slash, instead of something like this: /wordpress/

A slash with a directory name would indicate a sub-directory.

Depending on the webhost you use, they may call their main directory /html-public/ or something like that ... which would be OK as long as that is the main directory.

I know all of that sounds "geeky", but it makes it much easier to manage wordpress when it becomes the framework for your website.

Wordpress just as it is comes with it's own default themes. So you can install and test it without purchasing any other themes. If you trust any of us here, and you are willing to private message us with some webhost account info, speaking for myself, I would be willing to log into your webhost control panel and help you install everything to get it operational. Like others here, we are mostly freelance programmers (this is not our full time careers). I do online assistance for many people around the world. I would not charge you anything for getting you started on the wordpress journey.
    esc4p3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks again both. The committee of the Association need to 'approve' me doing the new site, they're unlikely to say no but that will take a couple of weeks to sort out. Plus I'll be doing this in the evening/weekend after my day job so will take a few weeks to get ready. That will give some more research time to look through some themes etc. I will take you up on your offer of setting up WordPress because I read somewhere about WP being to be in the root directory, so I'd hate to be on the wrong path before I even start

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Private message me on this forum when you are all ready to go and we'll trade emails.

I don't know how much traffic you get on your existing site. Perhaps it's only members and you get a couple visits per week? If your "new" site could provide some more general and informative content that would interest people outside the membership, and you were able to get more people to visit the site, you could earn some money using Google Adsense. Even if your site earned a meager $200 in one year that would more than pay for webhosting. With Google Adsense, you display one or two ads on a page and even if people only visit (and don't click on them), you get a little bit for each one. It adds up, and when it gets over $100, Google will send you a check the following month on the 21st of the month. The ads showing will most likely be pertinent to dogs.

An example: Catpin Productions, Bubble Test Form Generator - Teaching Tools

My site is for teachers to generate and print bubble test sheets for students taking tests. An unobtrusive Google Ad appears on the bottom of the site. During the school year, especially in the Spring (final test days), I may get 300-500 visits per day. Each day might be $2-$5 for just that one ad. I usually get a check every other, or every third month. Not much money, but it pays for the webhosting.

Your dog website could provide some photo galleries, or even use social media to get people around the world to submit photos and videos of their Tibetan Spaniels. All you need is to get people to visit your site. Give them a reason to visit.

Something to think about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads