Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Website recommendations

Member #

Website recommendations

My first post as I need some advice please and guidance with regard to creating a new modern website.

I have previously used Web Plus X4 to X8 from Serif but in their wisdom they have stopped development at X8.

My question .. what software would members recommend for a modern site that can be user friendly and support mobile phone use and although no plans yet for on line payments the ability to incorporate later if required.

One other requirement would be the ability to add a table of data with 6 columns eg name, club, ref no etc and then be able to filter on any name, club etc online as a page on the website.

Many thanks for looking.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    WordPress comes to mind right away. Not that it's the best (it's not really), but it is easiest to use for a non-tech person and has a lot of support as well as a lot of plugins. Other than that, you hire someone to develop a site for you. We're not sure about your capabilities, how many users the site will have, and how much data it will need to store.
    androiddeveloper likes this.

Member #

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    WordPress comes to mind right away. Not that it's the best (it's not really), but it is easiest to use for a non-tech person and has a lot of support as well as a lot of plugins. Other than that, you hire someone to develop a site for you. We're not sure about your capabilities, how many users the site will have, and how much data it will need to store.
    Thank you Mlseim I can design basic sites and have done in WPX8 so I can follow instructions and upload files etc with no issues. What I am trying to do is extend my knowledge and create something more modern with the database facility built in.

The sites I have designed get between 100 and 20000 views per month (I use StatCounter).

There would be 2 users uploading information, notices etc.

The storage would be 20 MB to 50 MB.

Hope that answers the questions.

I am not against hiring if that becomes an option.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I would recommend WordPress as well. I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say " the ability to add a table of data with 6 columns eg name, club, ref no etc and then be able to filter on any name, club etc online as a page on the website"

It sounds more like you want to link the name of the club to a web page which is easy enough to do and if you want to filter the table there are some table plugins that allow you to do that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    I would recommend WordPress as well. I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say " the ability to add a table of data with 6 columns eg name, club, ref no etc and then be able to filter on any name, club etc online as a page on the website"

It sounds more like you want to link the name of the club to a web page which is easy enough to do and if you want to filter the table there are some table plugins that allow you to do that.
    Sorry Turboguy .. had some visitors over the New Year and just getting free to catch up.

I should have been clearer … we want to hold an online database of results that members can filter (cycle racing club) and we have a number of clubs and race monthly so we want to show open race results and also be able to filter on each race/club/team member).
    Is there plug ins for this type of data or can I manually create one?

I have looked at WordPress and although a learning curve after WPX8 I think I am prepared to try it and have already installed both a local version and also on my hosting site to experiment with a new website. Installs were no problem once I understood what was required but a little unsure of the next step but viewing some tutorials now.

Happy New Year and thanks

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I am pulling something from my memory of something I looked at 3 or 4 months ago so perhaps I am remembering it wrong. If I am remembering correctly there is a table plug in that was designed for sports teams and lets you sort or filter the data about any way you want. It is a premium plug in and costs $ 25.00. I don't recall the exact name of it but it should not be hard to find. If I get a chance to check and see what the name is and if I remember correctly I will do that. I think if you do a search for WordPress table plug ins and see one that has a name connected with sports that should be it.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Wordpress with ninja tables plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-tables/

See their demos.

This is how nice it can look, and has search filtering and parameters:
    https://wpmanageninja.com/ninja-tables/use-case/

The "free" version has limitations, but it's not much cost to upgrade to "pro". A one-time fee.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    That is a really nice plugin miseum. It looks like it should do anything he wants. The one I had remembered was LeagueTable. Here is a link to that one. https://codecanyon.net/item/league-t...rect_back=true

I think I may like Ninja tables better.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    I am pulling something from my memory of something I looked at 3 or 4 months ago so perhaps I am remembering it wrong. If I am remembering correctly there is a table plug in that was designed for sports teams and lets you sort or filter the data about any way you want. It is a premium plug in and costs $ 25.00. I don't recall the exact name of it but it should not be hard to find. If I get a chance to check and see what the name is and if I remember correctly I will do that. I think if you do a search for WordPress table plug ins and see one that has a name connected with sports that should be it.
    Very helpful Turboguy and it looks as if it is possible to do what I require.

I have searched and found several options including the recommendation from Mlseim.

Really appreciate the input and I will report back after trying the various demos.

Member #
    Thanks Mlseim .. just watched the demos and more than enough for my purposes.

I will report back on my efforts to sort the tables etc.

Remove Ads