Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Dreamweaver Replacement

Hi everyone!
    Just wondering what you use to manage projects/websites? Lately dreamweaver has been so slow it's unbelievable. I'm still running CS6 and don't want to upgrade to the membership version.

I really only use Dreamweaver to manage multiple websites, connect directly to the server to save edits and obviously edit codes.

Auto-complete would be great but not required.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    I didn't know that Dreamweaver still existed.

Most people who don't create websites by hand use online site builders (Weebly, WIX, Square, etc). Others use WordPress (hosted by WordPress or running on a shared webhost). And others purchase a pre-made template and code all of the back-end themselves. I don't even know if it possible to directly convert any Dreamweaver sites (scripting) to anything else. Dreamweaver is super bloated.

Not a very good answer to your question. I don't think you'll find anyone here that uses Dreamweaver.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I would agree with Miseim Dreamweaver is pretty much dead. I do think Adobe still has it as part of their creative suite but I don't think you will find anyone using it much anymore. A decade ago it was very popular but just like FrontPage before it better things have come along.

I would suggest you look at WordPress. Let me add that there are two WordPress versions. One is at WordPress.com and the other is at WordPress.org. You want the one from .org not .com. It is a one click install from most any hosting account.

It is easy to build a web site using WordPress and there are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube showing how to do it. Currently about 27% of all web sites are created using WordPress.

I will add one more thing. WordPress just made a major change that some are not too happy about. The change effective with version 5.0 was the biggest change for a long time. I find things just a little more complicated using the current version 5.02 and you may find a few differences in the tutorials and what you see if you try to use WordPress.

Wordpress is free. There are lots of very nice free templates. There are also a lot of free plug-ins to add some cool features. I used Dreamweaver back some time ago and you will find WordPress easier to use than Dreamweaver was. There is a section here on WordPress and some of the posts by bleu canon are especially helpful but of course all information is useful

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I would highly recommend Adobe Brackets. I have been using Dreamweaver forever and have since been working in Brackets. I utilize two computer screens so I code on the Left and live preview as I build it on the right. Basically building it in a browser.

Remove Ads