Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx

Thread: SSL - do I need it?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question SSL - do I need it?

Hi there

I have developed a WordPress site at Tibetan Spaniel Association ? Under Construction which as you can see, is a fairly basic website for a dog club here in the UK.

I don't intend to set up a shop on the site or take any kind of payments, but equally having Chrome show the site as "not secure" annoys me a bit. The web host (GoDaddy) offer a standard SSL for 43.99/year which seems a lot. I have read that it is possible to get free SSL certificates, not sure how legit they are.

So do I ignore SSL and just carry on, is there a viable free option, or do I REALLY need to pay 43.99?

Any thoughts greatly received.

Cheers, Carl

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    Hey Carl,
    I would wait on it until (or if) the association really needs it. That point could be if there are registrations required for members? Once people start entering personal information, that would be the time to look at SSL. It can be done at any time.

I'm not sure if you read your GoDaddy's explanation on this topic:
    https://www.godaddy.com/garage/does-...l-certificate/

Of course they are biased. But even they say it's not so necessary unless there are logins and passwords involved. I think that pertains more to members and public than the wordpress admin people. And ... free SSL ... free is not what you think is "free". Nothing is free.

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    I would agree that unless you are selling something or require member log in an ssl certificate isn't something necessary. The only thing that makes having one important is that Google is penalizing sites that don't have one and is pushing to have all web sites be secure. From an SEO standpoint it is important just like having a responsive site.

Free certificates are available from Let's Encrypt. I have their certificates installed on a quite a few sites and they seem to work fine. If you aren't sure how to do it you can find someone on Fiverr to install it for you for 5 or 10 bucks. A few of the sites I have the Let's Encrypt certificate installed on are hosted by GoDaddy although that isn't my favorite hosting company. I am just mentioning that so you knot it isn't a problem with a site hosed on GoDaddy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks both, that kind of goes along with what I was thinking - I can see where Google are heading with the preference of secure sites, but not so keen on having my site flagged as "not secure". I'll hang fire for the time being, I hadn't read that article by GoDaddy, thanks and I will check out 'Let's Encrypt' as well, thanks @turbobuy

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Here is a great read concerning this topic as we are faced with whether or not to SSL. I have several clients who are politicians and some have asked me about whether or not they should do it. Its pretty bad when you got to someones website and it says "NOT SECURE" and to them its like the end of the world, what the heck can I do lol..

I am sure you can set up a free SSL through lets encrypt but you will first need to set up/purchase a private server (at least that is what one of my clients had to do with Hostmonster. Hostmonster gives you the instructions which are fairly easy to follow which I assume the same could be said for Godaddy. Though on Hostmonster after you complete setting everything up you will need to call Hostmoster and they will complete the SSL for you. I wonder if you could just call go daddy and tell them I want to make my site an SSL site and they can just do it over the phone.... Might be worth a try!
    esc4p3 likes this.

Member #
    Let's Encrypt SSL is free of charge and easy to install. Besides that, HTTPs is one of the imporatnt factors of Google ranking algorithms. There is no reason not to install SSL certificate.

Member #
    You can use free security certificates Let's Encrypt. If registration is required on your site, a certificate is required!

Member #
    First, Google prefers sites that have a security certificate. A site with a certificate-certificate, even free, will be higher in search results than a competitor without a certificate. And do not forget to renew the certificate in a timely manner host-tracker.com/Blog/Domain_ssl To do this, there is a special tool that will send you a notice about the end of the lease.
    Last edited by Lokot; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 07:59 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks everyone, I will investigate Lets Encrypt. GoDaddy sell SSL certificates, but if free is possible I will go down that route.

Remove Ads